Fresh off The anvil and bench

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by KimberFan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Two blades for a couple fellas up in Northern Canada. Enjoy them guys, they're on their way to you. Sorry for the wait.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

They are both beautiful!

That second knife may be the most beautiful blade I have ever seen!:cool:

3. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

As always they look like perfection

4. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

man those are sweet looking!

5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Very nice fit and finish.

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

very nice, you do great work!

7. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Very beautiful builds good quality and craftsmanship. Good job

8. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Wow, those are beautiful blades.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

These are beautiful.

When you start on some more I would love to see some pics of the process from start to finish!

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I hope they don't get them all sticky....................................................................................................................................................................with the syrup ya know.
    :D

11. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Excellent, well done,, the pattern is very nice on the blades,, have you tried mokume bolsters with that pattern? I would think it may go together well, again, very well done.

12. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Hello! Thank You for your kind comments. I haven't thought about doing that pattern in mokume and yes, it would be nice. I have enough soft metal and pipe to melt down and try that...I'll see how it goes and let you know! :)

13. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

Holy smokers Nellie.............they're fantastic !

14. yazul42

What woods do you normally use for the scales? The lower one looks similar to an ironwood burl,, but I'm sure I'm mistaken,,, have you worked with sheep horn? I never have and heard it can be very difficult to work with, I'm merely a hobbyist but I enjoy making knives for my friends and like to go to Hammer Ins, when they are in the area but they are few and far between anymore, good luck sir.

15. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

I buy mostly only stabilized box elder burl woods. There are many out there who sell them. I like Staburl out of Weezer Idaho. I've done a few antler and horn but, tend to shy away due to the are prone to chalk eventually and crack. I have heard some builders have their antler/horn stabilized as well. Ironwood makes great handles, stinks bad on the grinder and due to the oil in it, it does clog up sanding belts quicker. The hammer ins are nothing short of fantastic, I've met sooo many good folks at them, shared ideas and always left with a smile. Best wishes on your hobby, it's very nice to hear those like yourself carrying on the traditions of the metal crafts.

16. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

KimberFan ( btw...me too ) are you familiar with John White ?

17. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Those are some nice blades there, I like your work

18. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

No, I don't John but I know of him, his work as a bladesmith is beyond top notch and there are many Master craftsman in this line of work that cause me to step back and say "Wow". Another in my area is Bruce Bump. The ability to produce such exquisite knife works as they make is truly unbelievable. I highly recommend viewing their websites to see their beautiful works.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree. Those knives are beautiful.

20. yazul42

Kinberfan,,, have you ever tried osage orange,, bois darc,, or what ever name that it may be called,,, a friend of mine is a traditional bowyer and we gather the wood from fencerows that have been taken out for self bows. There is always extra chunks around so we saw them down for scales when we can. They can be tough to work but they make nice primitive styled knife scales and when they are exposed to sunlight and age somewhat, they darken and have a pleasing appearance. They seem to be very durable as well. I have not had the chance to go to a Hammer In for several years but it was always fun to guess who may show up,, it was always very enjoyable to watch the Masters perform their art and sad to realize that much of this knowledge may be lost due to our society being more concerned with technology and instant gratification versus the patience of hand work done with dedication and respect for tradition. Good luck in your endeavors sir.