French Unique .25 ACP.. Anybody know about these

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Moparkid13, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Absolutely

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Use it as a display piece

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Sell it

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

My father in law gave me one a few days ago. It was spray painted black and very dirty.. I have it stripped so far and cleaned.. I'm trying to do some research on it and it's very similar to the model 10 but with some differences.. It has 5 round magazine, the 10 is a 6 round.. Also it has curved slots on the slide and the 10 has straight slots.. I cannot find 1 like this one at all on the net..the slide reads--
    Pistolet Automatique
    "Unique" Modele Cal. 6.35

The frame has 2088 which I'm assuming is the serial number

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

How bout some pics?

3. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

I'm trying to get them uploaded right now but my internet is very slow cause of wi-fi ugh

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Did you Google? -
    Some info available -

5. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

French guns, barely used, only dropped once.

6. 9026543

9026543 New Member

Unless I am mistaken and I quite often am it was made in Spain and sold to the French for use in WWI. The Spaniards made lots of pistols for the French in WWI in both .25ACP and .32ACP. I have a Vesta in .32ACP and it is as solid as the day it was made and shoots good. It is very accurate also. In great shape for a 100 year old gun.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Wow, times have changed. I can not imagine using a .25 acp in combat!!! I am unimpressed with the 9 mm:eek:

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Handguns were a symbol of rank with the Europeans. It dates back to the sword/sabre days. The officers and senior NCOs carried them. Carried over to many Asian countries. Enlisted - Rifle Senior NCO - Handgun. Stopping power had little to do with it. If it was fired in anger, it was point blank to the head of an insubordinate private or as a coup de gras for an executed deserter/enemy soldier.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Name used on pistols made by Pyrenees in Hemadaye France. Company founded in 1923, had about 2 dozen trade names. In 1939, dropped all the trade names in favor of Unique. They made everything from .22 to .380, including .25 ACP. There were some changes in the exterior over time (grooves on slide, etc) Not a high dollar gun, not pot metal junk either.

10. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Ok since my internet is being retarded I had to take pics with my phone and upload via the flickr app:D Sorry for the bad quality and Idk why some of them are upside down..

[​IMG]
    IMAG0084 by moparkid13, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0085 by moparkid13, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0086 by moparkid13, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0087 by moparkid13, on Flickr

I would love to know the history behind this and the build date and what it's called exactly.. I would also like to find another magazine

11. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

btw I plan on polishing it and rebluing after I get a corded dremel that will not bog down with the slightest pressure like my cordless does

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Damn that's cute!

13. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Thanks, I've allready been there and all they have is the 6 round magazines.. I'm starting to wonder if mine is supposed to be a 6 round and something is blocking it.

14. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Well I'm going shooting tomorrow and i'm gonna take the unique.. so wish me luck.. It should do fine, everything is working correctly, the ammo feeds smooth.. the only thing i'm worried about is the ramp has some pitting and the inside of the barrel has slight pitting but the rifling is still good..

15. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

I shot it for the first time today. It shoots great but for some reason when the magazine is in it wont eject the cartridge, I have to manually pull the slide back then it spits out the used shell plus an unused shell with it and chambers 1.. but when the magazine is not in the gun it will fire and eject without me doing anything.. I don't understand it

16. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

It's because its French ;)

17. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Maybe its not the right magazine for the gun?

18. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

It sounds like a bad ejector sear

19. Gun_Shy

Gun_Shy New Member

This is almost certainly a Spanish pistol, from Eibar in the Basque region of Spain. The French company "Unique" was started in the French Basque city of Behobie (about 50 miles from Eibar) in the 1920s by a Spanish gunsmith from Eibar, Jose Uria. This company moved to the nearby French city of Hendaye in 1928. At this time the legal name of the company was "Manufacture d'Armes des Pyrénées Françaises" (or MAPF), and "Unique" was a brand name for the 6.35mm/.25 vestpocket pistols it made (the Unique model 10 and variants).

MAPF was an outgrowth of an earlier company in Behobie called "Uria & Arenas Frères" (Uria & Arena Brothers), founded in 1923. The Arenas brothers -- Modesto, Isadro and Gregorio Arenas -- were members of an gunmaking family in Eibar. In 1921 the Eibar company "Barrenechea, Gallastegui y Arenas" registered (in Spain) the name "Unique," along with the logo of a lion in a rectangle (later changed to an oval), and began producing 6.25mm/.25 vestpocket pistols similar to yours, with the curved serrations on the slide. It continued to make "Unique" pistols for a number of years, although the name of the Spanish company appears in the 1928 Spanish "Census of Arms" as "Barrenechea y Gallastegui." So the French and Spanish "Unique" pistols are closely tied together, and were being made at the same time for awhile.

Check the frame (especially the left and right sides of the rear tang), slide (rear) and barrel carefully -- they will typically have Eibar proof marks that may indicate the date (although the manufacturing year mark was not used until 1927) and maker. "BG" was the maker mark for "Barrenechea y Gallastegui". Without the proof marks, dating these more than generally is very difficult -- as a Spanish pistol, it would date to the 1920s or 30s, but no later than the Spanish Civil War. The curved serrations strongly suggest the 1920s. Where on the frame is the "2088" stamped?

Eventually MAPF changed its name to "Unique" (after WWII, I believe); in later years (1970s+) it focused primarily on making high-end target pistols and rifles that still sell for quite a bit (often $1000+). Unique went out of business in 2004, although one of its rifle designs is still being manufactured by a German company (see the "Unique Alpine" at unique-alpine.eu, or just Google it). Prices start at about $5000, and they are not sold in the US.

According to Zhuk's Encyclopedia of Handguns, the Spanish company "Unceta y Compania" (better known as "Astra") also made .25 Unique vestpocket pistols with curved serrations for MAPF in the 1920s (see entry 37-216 for the "model 1924"), although I am not sure how reliable this information is regarding the maker. Astra normally placed the gripscrews in a different location (center of the grips), while your's and where Zhuk's illustration show them are where Unique (both Spanish and French) located them (rear edge of the grips). Astra is known to have made pistols for the French gunmaker "Union," which is sometimes confused with "Unique" (it made some very similar pistols at the time). But there was a lot of parts trading between the many Eibar gunmakers back then, and apparently some between the Spanish and French Basque gunmakers.

Are you sure that this has a 5-round magazine? I don't think any of the French Unique pistols based on the model 10 (ie, models 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14) held fewer than 6 rounds (some held more), and none of the Spanish vestpocket Uniques I've seen do either. The magazine may be faulty, or may even be from a different pistol (not uncommon -- almost all the Spanish and French vestpocket pistols of this period are very similar (Browning 1906-derived) and magazines from one pistol often end up in a different one). If I recall correctly, I can swap the magazines from my 6.35mm/.25 (Spanish) Uniques, (French) Uniques and (French) MAB As (all from the 1920-30s) without any problem, although the magazines from some other vestpockets look almost the same but will not quite fit (but could be made to with a little fitting). Given that this was painted black at some point, and the grips are obviously not original, some previous owner may have replaced the original magazine.

Bill

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012