French MAS-36 Carbine vs Lever Action .30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Bolt Action, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

I know, I know, this is an extremely strange match up. But in terms of effective range, what would be better. A Winchester 30-30 or a MAS-36 Carbine

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The 1936 Mas 7.5x54 cartridge is similar, though slightly less power, to a 7.62x51. It will out range the .30-30.

3. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

Thank you much Sir.
    The MAS carbine, theoretically, should have half the range of a full MAS-36. Which is about 400 meters effective, putting the MAS carbine at 200 meters or there abouts.
    I dont know the effective range on a 30-30, never saw any conclusive reports on the one I want to get. So I thought I'd ask a gun guru :D

4. jpattersonnh

Not sure what you mean by Carbine and full Mas36? The 1936 Mas is a carbine!
    Effective open sight range is 400 Meters. MV is 2800fps w/ standard Military ball ammo w/ original 22.6" barrel. You can figure it will loose 100fps+- w/ every inch the barrel is shortened. A modified version is used as a sniper rifle to this day. Is the one you are looking at a Santa Fe carbine? They just had the stocks modified, not the barrel.

5. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Effective range on the 30-30 for the average person is about 150 yards on deer sized game.

Some can shoot further, but you must always remember that the bullet needs to have enough velocity to open up when the animal is hit as you have a much better chance of not having a mortally shot animal running away.

The new bullets from Hornady offer more effective range due to a better B.C. and are safe with their soft tips.

John K

6. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

There is a smaller version of the MAS-36 that came out in 1949 (At least thats what mine said when I had it) I'm not sure what the official designation is, but I've seen several of them. They are much shorter MAS-36's.

7. jpattersonnh

It is not smaller. The 36/48 had a 48mm grenade launcher attached and the 36/51 had a 22mm Nato grenade launcher.
    The barrel was 24.4"

The 49 was a semi auto rifle. Not the same.

8. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

There IS a smaller rifle, I'll find a picture of it. I used to own one and believe me, it's quite alot smaller than the MAS-36. I've seen 4 of them thus far

9. jpattersonnh

OK, if you say so.

10. Bolt Action

Bolt Action New Member

Okay you were right. They are "Sante Fe" sporterised. I just cross checked it. Could have fooled me, they look original. But even so, the barrels are shorter. The Sporterised variant has a much smaller barrel in comparison to the original MAS.

11. frenchnra

frenchnra New Member

It is the MAS 49

It was the reglementary french army rifle in the 50's and 60's ...

MAS-49 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. jpattersonnh