Freezing sweet corn

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CourtJester, Jul 21, 2013.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Our sweet corn is about ready and thought it worth asking; how do y'all freeze it? We're gonna have about 200ish ears. My Wife wants to shuck it and freeze it on the cob in vacuum lock bags. I personally would rather keep it wrapped in the husk so it'll be grillable throughout the winter.
    So what have you found to work best?

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Put it in bags after shucking it. Only way to go. Blanch it is even better. I have done thousands of ears. Cut some off the cob and freeze it too. Make sure to get all the air out.

3. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Way we always did it was drop the shucked ears in boiling water for one minute, then into ice water to stop the cooking. Let drain , then vacuum pack and freeze. The blanching deactivates the natural enzymes in the corn that would otherwise cause it to deteriorate faster.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The very best form of preserved corn is called "Bourbon"!!:)

5. buckhuntr

That too. :D

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is the best way. It is better to blanch it and vacuum seal it. I always take it off the cob.

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Blanching is the only way to preserve the corn for long term storage.
    Last year we blanched our sweetcorn,then cut it off the cob and froze it in zip lock freezer bags,it tasted great!

This year we will try blanching and leaving it on the cob,and freezing it in zip lock freezer bags.

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

blanch it on the hob, chill it in ice water, strip it off the cob, put into vacuum seal bags, freeze it, then vacuum seal it.

Have the whole process down to an assembly line :)

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

If you put the corn in a cooler and then add dry ice to the cooler it will flash freeze it. Then put the corn into ziplock bags while still in the cooler there will be no oxygen in the sealed bags. I've read that doing it this way adds time you can leave it in the freezer as well. I've only done it with berries, but worker really well.

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

That's very interesting ctshooter,thanks for the information.

Here's a question pertaining to Courtjesters thread,for those who have been successful freezing sweetcorn on the cob. How do you prepare it for the table from the freezer? Boil,bake,microwave?

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Boil. If you let it FULLY thaw, and you froze it in the shucks, you can grill it.

12. buckhuntr

Slightly off-topic, but yesterday on my way home from a vet visit, I passed an intersection with a Boy Scout on each corner, holding up ears of corn. I pulled in to the pickup nearby that was loaded with sweet corn that the kids were selling to raise money for a trip. Man, that corn was delish for supper, drizzled with a little olive oil and grilled with flatiron steaks and skewers of zuchinni & yellow squash and red onions. Corn was so much better than what I was about to buy from the supermarket, and helped the Scouts to boot.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

^^
    This is what we do for our freezer corn.

14. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to blanch it in order to freeze it properly. I would think that means off the husk. Vacuom seal it in bags and freeze it. I used to cut it down off the cob when I lived in PA and I would eat it through March of the next year. I would freeze and eat a lot, and it lasted well.

15. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I've seen it on the cob and off. I don't think there's much of a difference unless you have an issue with space.

16. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Fail to fire............

You all missed the point of blanching. That stops the sugars turning into starch. Unless the corn has already turned. You'll know when you go to eat it or slice thru it. As a youngster on the farm we et bothe horse corn, then the new hybrid when my father could aford the seed. There was no sweet corn..............It tasted nothing but corn, lots of salt pork, and maybe a hand full of left over rice.......Growing up I called it belly wash...........lol.......

17. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

It will be great.

18. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.
    We've got enough to try it all and see how it works. The wife blanched the first few that were ready today.

Thanks again all

image-2069612714.jpg

19. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Definitely blanch, cool, cut off of cob & freeze in ziplock or vac. sealed.

As to how to reheat, microwave in a glass, covered dish with a touch of real butter or make chicken corn chowder (my fav.)!

20. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I strip it off after it has cooled. Have a board with a nail in it, and do it over a large container lid. Takes up mucho less freezer space, we'll put away two or three large bags worth.