Freedom Arms Cap & Ball Mini Revolver

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Clermont, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Clermont

Clermont Member

In 1985, I ordered from Freedom Arms a .22 cal. cap & ball mini revolver with factory engraving, factory scrimshawed elephant ivory grips, and a factory deluxe gold and silver highlighted belt buckle. The pistol is unfired, the cylinder is unturned, and came with all accessories needed for firing. Any idea as to current value with factory options?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Probably pushing a grand worth of ivory alone...

I'd love to have it. But no way I could afford it.

3. Clermont

Clermont Member

For comparison, here are two basic Freedom Arms .22 cal. mini revolvers and a Freedom Arms basic belt buckle, that I previously purchased from Freedom Arms. One mini revolver having the basic plastic grips, the other mini revolver having the optional wood grips. Both being unfired with unturned cylinders and with all accessories for firing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. PRM

PRM New Member

The value is what someone is willing to pay. How big is the market for a for a .22 mini C&B. It really falls into a novelty area.

Not to discourage, but NAA, who is now making a very similar design gun (in fact the company the took over after FA went out of the mini business) are going NIB for between $150 - $200 on Gun Broker.

Sid Ryan does aftermarket custom engraving on the minis and charges $150 for 90% coverage. http://sidryan2.com/services.html

The big enhancer would be the grips. I've bought quite a few pre-ban elephant ivory grips for guns. All have been aftermarket and none put on by a manufacturer. If they are pre-ban elephant, your looking at between $200-$300 on the grips alone and around $150 for the scrimshaw. If they are polymer ivory - your looking at around $50.00 total.

Being that it is a factory job, you might run across a FA collector who would jump on it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  5. PRM

PRM New Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. Clermont

Clermont Member

I'll have to check to see if I previously posted the photos on the NAA Forum. The problem is, I usually get a Blue Book quote for a basic pistol in 100% condition. The Blue Book lacks any values for the scrimshawed ivory grips, engraving or deluxe belt buckle.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Clermont, I am curious as to what you personally guess the value at.
    Real value is only determined by what someone else will actually pay. I personally can not imagine there are many collectors for a special order mini revolver. But obviously that is only a guess on my part.

8. Clermont

Clermont Member

Unfortunately, I am unable to appraise my Freedom Arms mini revolver, but for the first time, on this forum, PRM has volunteered values beyond the cost of a basic mini revolver previously posted on other website forums.

9. Clermont

Clermont Member

These are two North American Arms Limited Edition Companion .22 cal. cap & ball mini revolvers I acquired in 1997. The Edge Company, a mail order firm, special ordered from North American Arms 3,000 sets, each set containing a LR and Magnum size revolver and having the same serial number. What is unusual about these revolvers is the cylinders are fluted, unlike the standard model, and have selected areas that are gold plated. Each revolver is boxed with accessories for shooting, a zippered vinyl pouch and a suede clip-on holster. As I am a collector, not a shooter, both revolvers are unfired with unturned cylinders.
    [​IMG]

10. Clermont

Clermont Member

Here is a picture of one of the mini revolver presentation cases I acquired, years ago, from Freedom Arms.
    [​IMG]

11. batjka

batjka New Member

FA mini revolvers are a lot more valuable than the current production NAA ones.

I had one of those C&B ones. Fired it using 1gr of Bullseye and a 30gr NAA bullet. That was lots of fun.