free slingshot

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Leavingplatoscomphycave, Apr 7, 2010.

1. i just received a free slingshot from my brother and i was thinking could this be a good addition to the BOB? i mean could you actually hit somthing with it? would it kill a squirrel?

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I would have loved to have had one last weekend while I was dancing with a coyote.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Depends on the slingshot and the projectile. Personally, I'd rather use a weapon I KNOW will kill what I need for sustenance. Not good karma to be just wounding animals or just pissing them off. Of course when dancing with yotes, the slingshot would definately get them scooting away. :)

4. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Check out the sling bow on youtube. I wanna try it.

5. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer New Member

I have killed squirrels with slingshots before. If it's one of the black widow type slingshots and you have a nice steel ball, sure, that's a kill. If you are using a more primitive sling and your projectile doesn't hit the animal square on the head, you might just daze him or give him a few cracked ribs. They're tough little suckers.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Depending on the circumstances, a slingshot isn't a bad idea for a BOB. Quiet is good.

7. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I heard you could hunt wabbits with one.
    I want to go squirrel hunting with mine this year.
    I am practicing with my aim using clay balls that I have made. Just dig up the clay and let it dry in the sun. More accurate than any large number of rocks.....

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Worked for David. ;)

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That was a different type of slingshot. And I don't expect to see too many squirrels mocking the army of God. LOL

10. J T Patriot

J T Patriot New Member

The right kind of sling shot with the right projectile in the right hands can be right deadly.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I saw a bunch of .30 caliber balls next to the sling shots at my local sporting goods store. They really seemed quite small. Wouldn't .50 caliber balls be better? The kind that are used for black powder muskets?

I am also planning on having a slingshot for my gear. You can always make more balls or use rocks if you've gone through all the rocks. If SHTF 3 years ago, and all your ammo is through, you gotta have something. A slingshot would help you save some ammo for bigger game.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You might want to check ODNR for legality of using a slingshot to hunt anything.

13. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I have one for the same reason and yes it will kill or at least stun a squirrel. I hunt the tree rats with passion (It's a term of endearment) and have tried the sling shot. I had one fall on impact and another I had to put down after it was stunned and fell from the tree. It's nice no viscera damage. The only thing is it takes practice like everything else so if your going to carry it for bug out purposes make sure you've spent quite some time with it.

14. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I hoe its legal because everyone does it! o_O

15. superc

superc Member

Somewhere is my old "Wrist Rocket" sling shot. Try lead .36 or .44 caliber balls such as you would use to reload a Colt 1851 or 1860. When I was a kid I could hit a 4 ft. tall metal sign with it at 300 yards. It made an impressive clang and you could see the little ball silhouetted against the sky while it was in flight. While it would go through thin plywood at more practical closer ranges, I never got more than 1/4 inch penetration in solid pine 2x4 boards with it. While the US Army tests back in the Civil War period showed that any penetration less than 1" in pine was 'probably' not generally lethal to humans, I would really, really, hate to have something hitting like that bouncing off my skull. That would probably be the exception to the 'probably' or else so close to it that I would never know the difference.

BTW, given enough power in the straps, there is nothing 'silent' about them. I used surgical tubing and while it was a different kind of sound, it seemed to me to be almost as loud as a .22 short or a shot from a CO2 pellet rifle.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have made the old david type and boy they can throw a rock. The newer ones sure you can kill a squirrel with one.

I would not want to be around this old boy and his sling shot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0[/ame]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  17. Kimber45

Kimber45 New Member

Can you still buy wrist rockets? I've killed quail, jack wabbits and wee little cotton tails. Have tagged a black bear in the arse using one loaded with M&M peanuts, guess he thought he was stung by a yeller jacket because he took of right quick like.

18. freefall

freefall New Member

My buddy George had a lab he wanted to train to fetch birds. So we tried to kick up spruce grouse and shotgun them before the landed in trees, not easy. After two not-so-successful attempts, I brought my wrist rocket to chase them from the trees so George could then shotgun them and let the dog fetch them. Only problem was that after a couple outings I started to kill them with the slingshot. "Not the effect we're striving for" was the way George put it. I was using 00 shot, got a 25# bag for damn little a few years ago, still have a couple pounds left. Now Boondocks doesn't carry it anymore.:confused:

19. superc

superc Member

I am still finding Wrist Rockets on Ebay today for about $13.

I prefer .36 or .44 caliber lead balls myself, but 00 buckshot is just as good I guess..

20. bizy

bizy New Member

Slingshot

I have a slingshot in my BOB.. I think now they are called a Wrist Rocket.. They are quite and effective at close range. Squirles, birds, rabbits.