Free Membership to FTF...Click Here

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jesse17, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Ok, here's the rules...
    Post your best survival tips in this thread. When we get to 100 tips, we'll vote on the best one, and I'll pay that poster's membership for their next year. Also welcomed here are comments about variations on these tips, or comments debunking them. Let's have fun with this!

I'll go first...
    The Floating Needle/Compass...
    Take a cup of water, drop a piece of bathroom tissue or other really absorbent material on the surface.

Before it gets waterlogged and sinks, drop a sewing needle (or other small piece of ferrous metal) on the piece of paper.

When the paper sinks (you may need to coach it to sink with a couple of twigs) surface tension of the water will allow the needle to float (as long as you don't get ANY water on top of the needle).

Free from friction, the needle will align it self in the N and S magnetic direction. The needle doesn't care which way it faces, so you have a 50/50 chance of guessing which way is North and which way is South, but it will give you a good reference point.

EDIT: As pointed out by dnthmn2004, you have to find a way to magnetize the needle first. He suggested rubbing the needle in one direction with a piece of silk. I laid the needle across a 9 volt battery until it started to glow.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Ok, we're up to 2 entries! (This message moved from the original thread.)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Ok. We're up to 3 entries. (This message moved from the original thread.)

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

OK. We're up to 4 entries. (This message moved from the original thread.)

5. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

I still say don't eat yellow snow :p

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Good advise, but not always true. Didn't you see that Super Bowl commercial for for Miller (I think) where the two guys are walking through a snow covered park. They suddenly dive to the ground and start eating yellow snow. Then the camera pans up and you see that they are following a guy carrying a leaking keg of beer?:confused:

PS. Your tip still doesn't count.:p

7. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I know in my part of the county the bottom point on the crescent moon always points south. I think this holds true for all of North America. The only problem is if you get lost, the night has to be clear and the moon has to be in this phase.

This is why I always carry two compasses when traveling in the wilderness. I carry two compasses to reassure myself self that the first compass is correct and I am wrong. More than once I thought I knew better than my compass.

8. Clay454

Clay454 New Member

I stole this one from survivor man but I thought it was pretty ingenious. First you fill a large container with salt water or green vegetation. Then you place a cup or whatever you have on hand in the center. Next you cover with plastic and place a rock or weight over the cup. As the condensation collects on the plastic gravity pulls it down the plastic to drip into the cup. Granted I don't think you are going to much water from this and it would take a while to work, but a pretty cool idea anyway.
    Clay

9. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Tip # 5

Tip # 6

We're on our way now!:)

10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

mmmm....beer flavored snow cone.....that changes everything

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Always carry a knife. Preferably a fixed blade with a full tang.

Acorn tops can make a VERY loud rescue whistle. Hold it between both thumbs and both index fingers. Make the "Y" shape with your thumbs and position them to show only the top, triangular section of the acorn. The smaller the top, the louder the whistle.

Attached Files:

12. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Yippee! We're at tip # 7.

Here's # 8:
    If you find yourself in need to cross a river (and happen to have a poncho/water proof tarp, etc) find some vine-like/rope-like material. Spread the tarp/poncho out flat and tie your riffle and a stick (or 2 riffles, or 2 sticks) in an X shape on top of the tarp.

Then place your gear on top of the X-frame (created by the riffle/sticks) and fold the tarp over the top of the pile. Pay attention to getting the corners as high as you can.

This will make a decent "raft" to carry your gear that you don't want to get wet. When you swim the river, you can pull the raft behind you, without getting your gear wet (hopefully). Much better than a pack on your back while swimming.;)

13. Spanz

Spanz New Member

always carry a flask of emergency bourbon.

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I would suggest trying well known survival tips in your back yard before your life depends on them. Having experience starting a fire with the bow-drill method or setting up snares using some string and a couple sticks would be priceless in a sticky situation. Its better to learn what works and what doesn't when you have a steak and a beer waiting, than when your wishing you had a steak and a beer.

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

So what happens when a supporting member wins the contest?

16. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I don't know if this really counts as a 'Survival Tip' but is great advise. Therefore...
    I'm counting this as Tip # 9!:)

17. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Well IIRC, this forum doesn't have a Lifetime Membership option, so that means we all have to pay again for next years membership.

So, if you're tip is voted to be the best, and you're not a member, I'll pay for you to join. If your tip is voted to be the best, and you're already a member, then I'll pay-pal the admin. one years membership, to be deposited in your little 'Balance:' thing at the top of the screen.

I assume this balance can be used toward your membership renewal.

JD, am I correct on this?

18. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Bump...

Really? Nine survival tips is all we on FTF can come up with?

Boy, I hope the zombies don't come too soon!:eek:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  19. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

If you're goin' to ...extract waste... near your closest water stream, always do it down range and away from your camp.

20. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If you want to add survival from zombies...

Destroy the brain.

Never keep one as a pet.

Don't sneak around in the dark, alone, and unarmed.