Free floating handguards

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by broke-again124, Oct 15, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

I'm lookin for a free floating handguard that is able to be attached with a standard barrel nut. Basically so I don't have to take my gas block back off. Anyone have any suggestions.

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Are you looking for a tube or a railed unit?

I'm currently running a AP Customs 15" carbon fiber tube. It's perfect for a game gun, not so much for a utility rifle

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Using a free float handguard will require a different barrel nut. You'll have to remove your gas block. Not a big deal though.

4. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Not always the case, my Centurian C4 rail uses the standard barrel nut and it's free float.

I just got a Troy VTAC Battlerail Alpha that is also free float and uses the standard barrel nut.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Didn't know that.

6. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

Midwest Industries 2 Piece Free Float Handguard System Gen2

Weight 9.0 oz, Length 7 inches, Width 2.3 inches, Height 2.43 inches

Midwest Industry's innovative 2 piece Free Float Forearm design allows easier installation over single piece units that require front gas block sight removal. These Quad Rail Handguards include desired laser etched USGI T-marks for accessory location and instantly improve accuracy by reducing strain on barrel harmonics. MII Generation II AR15 Forearms are sure to be the new standard for fit, finish, and value in tactical handguards. Made in USA.

http://vtsupply.com/midwest-industries-2-piece-m4-carbine-free-float-forearm-ar-15.html

7. willfully armed

My AP tube runs a STD nut as well.

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Troy rails are really nice, theyre light and you can add a rail any where you want. Took me all of 2 minutes to take off add a rail and out back on. There not as fat as the other freefloats and they're really goid product

ForumRunner_20121015_233745.jpg

ForumRunner_20121015_233707.jpg

9. broke-again124

This is what I want exactly. Do I have to remove the gas block or anything to install??

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If the handguard not a two piece style and the gas block is not low profile, yes the GB will need to be removed.

If the gas block is a low profile style, the handguard may slide over it, but still depends on the barrel nut. To change a barrel nut the GB must be removed.

I recently cut down a pin on front sight an converted it to a low profile.

11. broke-again124

I have a low pro gas block with a carbine gas system. I put a clamp on fsp for mid length handguard purposes. If I remove the gas block to change the barrel nut, do I need new roll pins??

image-4049896387.jpg

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Option 1, cut down your fsb and make it a lo pro block. Then you can slide a longer rail on it.

I also think Daniel Defence makes nice 2 peice quad rail that will work with your curent config.

13. broke-again124

It's not a FSB it is a clamp on. I have a lo-pro gas block installed. Fsp was so I could have middy handguards.

14. ZeusEcho

15. willfully armed

They aren't roll pins. They are drift pins. They are also tapered. Yes you can reuse them.

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Some companies use tapered drift pins, some use straight drift pins. My DPMS had tapered pins. My LMT had straight pins. I misplaced one of the pins on my LMT, I used a roll pin in its place. I talked to a 'smith about this issue, he agreed that a roll pin will work fine in place of a straight drift pin, said he had installed many roll pins on pinned gas blocks without any issues.

17. X-mark

X-mark New Member

18. ZeusEcho

yeah man...such a cool looking rail with the offset holes. Looks even better in person than it does in pictures!