Free Float Tubes?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by p35bhp55, Jan 5, 2014.

1. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Question for the real AR guys, (I own four but am a piddler not a expert). How much difference does a free float tube make on a rifle with a stock barrel and receiver? I have a Bushy ORC with a 16 inch barrel in .308. It has mostly aftermarket parts from the JP buffer spring to the muzzle brake, along with a 4X12 VXR in a BOBRO. It is very shootable and holds a good group out to 300 yards with 168 gr.ammo so far. It has midlength handguards on it now and I would like to either just install a quad rail or if it makes a sizeable difference a free float tube. Like the idea of just being able to pull the handguards off so if this is more a match grade mod I will pass on it.

2. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

If you want consistency in your POI, free float the barrel. Every time you rest the the rifle on a bag, bipod, barrier, or use a sling to shoot, the harmonics of the barrel change and therefore changes the POI. There is plenty of info out there about barrel harmonics and its affect on accuracy. Make your own determination as to whether or not the difference is enough to matter to you. Free floating will improve accuracy and precision. How much it will improve will depend on the quality of the rifle and your ability as a shooter.

Good Luck

E-DUB

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

About as good a summation as it gets.

4. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

As a mini 14 owner I'm painfully aware of harmonics, but all my ARs have .750 barrels and looking at them they just look so sturdy :D. I guess I need to shoot and record from the bag then from the bipod and then...god forbid... free hand and see where my POI ends up. But not in this wind, have to wait for smoother weather.