Freaking Robin Hood!

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by NGIB, Jul 30, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Miserable hot day here in SE GA, heat index was about 120. Headed to SC this afternoon and after finishing my must do chore (back brakes on the truck), I setup a target area and broke out the bow. I have a large cardboard box about 3 feet square packed with old Styrofoam and newspaper for a base. I taped on a paper plate for a target and drew a bullseye on it. I figured I'd start at 15 paces as I haven't shot a bow in going on 40 years.

I bought the bow bare so I added the arrow rest and sight and I had no idea whether I had them setup right. I didn't - as I barely even hit the box on the first arrow. After some tweaking I got them dialed in pretty good. Anyway, I was able to put 10 arrows in the paper plate at 15 paces - so I'm happy for a start. Rather than use a release, I was shooting with my fingers. I had the bow turned down to 45# and it worked well.

I think I'm going to enjoy this very much!

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

So u gonna go the full get up - tights, vest and a cap? :p

Congrats, keep us updated and enjoy! :D

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nah, Dog - I'll leave the fancy duds to someone else I think. I also know this isn't a real accomplishment and real bow shooters will laugh - a paper plate at 15 yards - big deal. I'm proud of it though considering I haven't shot a bow since I was 16 or 17. I sure like the cost of the "ammo" though, just walk to the target and retrieve the arrows.

I pretty sure I have found another fun hobby and maybe with lots of practice I won't suck so bad...

4. JonathanGlass

JonathanGlass New Member

so did you robin hood an arrow or not?:cool:
    done it twice and my friend did it to my arrow once, here's my first one.
    [​IMG]

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Of course not as I'm a freaking beginner - I believe I mentioned that.

I was making reference to the fella that ran around England in tights shooting a bow. I find you to be exactly the type I see on archerytalk - knows all, can do all, and likes to brag. Perhaps I'm wrong but so far you've jumped in 2 of my posts and offered nothing but your amazing feats and bad advice. (My RazorX shoot though does not use or need cable slides)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

NGIB - don't sweat your shooting, a plate at 15yds is pretty good for a first time out in years. ;) Look forward to hearing about your new found hobby. :D

Last summer Olympics I watched a shooter from China miss a 4" center mark at 20yds. :eek: Maybe it's just me but i would think an Olympic competitor would hit that shot 100 out of 100 times. :confused:

7. JonathanGlass

JonathanGlass New Member

haha, no i don't go on archerytalk, hate that place, and to be honest, i've been feeling the same way, I was just giving a little bit of my opinion on the last post, and I did that robin hood when I first started out as well....so don't get all pissy pants on me

8. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Keep trying, NGIB! Focus on being consistent in your draw and on a clean release. Don't pay to much attention to where the arrows end up, that's the easy part to correct once you get the technique down.

Looks like you're having fun, mate. That means you're doing it right!

Sorry I can't help with the sight and arrow rest set up, on my longbows I just need to worry about the string. :)

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You speak the truth here. Didn't have a lot of time this weekend as the brakes on my truck gave me fits. Had a frozen caliper and ended up doing a lot of work to get things fixed. Anyway, was able to find an hour to shoot the bow. Rather than focus on where each arrow hit, I concentrated on being consistent shot to shot form wise. Towards the end of the session I was able to shoot a 3 arrow group of 2" at the 15 yards I've been practicing at. I can tell you that form and release are absolutely critical for accuracy.

Still shooting with fingers for now (I have 2 releases) but I did wimp out and start using a glove...

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

How many arrows have you lost? When I first got mine I lost a few and
    when you're shooting carbons it can get expensive fast.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Between the wife and I, the total for lost & damaged arrows is about a dozen. I'll be honest, we're using el cheapo Walmart ready-made arrows until both of us get a tad more proficient. My next project is to build a backstop in the yard using some lumber and the old carpet we tore out of a house we're remodeling...

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Everybody uses a glove or tab, mate! Not only does it protect your fingers, but it's a great aid in a proper release technique. I like this deer skin glove:
    [​IMG]

I keep it soft (so I can feel the string) with an ointment used for saddles and other leather gear. I'm sure you've got something similar in the US (don't use anything that would cause the leather to stiffen!).

IMHO, you should learn to shoot well using your fingers first and then move on to mechanical release devices if you feel the need to. But I'm biased against those infernal gimmicks anyway. ;)

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

That is my thought exactly. From everything I've read and heard, finger shooting will amplify any mistakes in your form & technique. I figure if I get reasonably good shooting with fingers - I'll have my form pretty much dialed in. I can tell you it's much easier to shoot a handgun well than a bow though. The up side is the "ammo" is reusable (caveat with lost & damaged arrows by noobs)...

14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

It's mighty impressive how well you did for not shooting a bow in so long. especially considering the fact that the last time I shot a bow I missed the target everytime :eek: keep up the good work!

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I may have mentioned it before, but have you considered playing dart games with your bow & friends/spouse as competitors? Cricket would be awesome in a format that made it easier to score than a dart board.

16. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

You are exactly right about form. Nothing is more critical shooting a bow than form and consistancy. I strive to, once I have drawn the bow, to let absolutely nothing move except my fingers as I release. The hand holding the bow doesn't drop till after the arrow has left and only the fingers holding the string move to release.
    I personaly use finger tabs, no mechanical release. However if I ever upgrade my bow to something with a much higher pull wieght, I will use a mechanical as it makes it easier to draw, with the release wrapped around your wrist you can pull with your whole arm instead of the wieght on your finger tips.
    The most important thing is to be consistant and enjoy it, don't make a chore!

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I was going to try archery but remembered that every time the wiley coyote tried to use a bow he got shot out of it. Damn ACME garbage.

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I love my bow!! :D

I've got a Peason Accumax in Red Onyx (2000 model) that is pretty precise :D

I love Copper John sights...with the long 8" arm.

The only thing I'll probably ever give it up for is a new Hoyt...but I'm too poor to afford one this year...
    Florida's economy went in the dumper when the oil leak blew.

But then...when you shoot one bow well, you're unlikely to change anything until it falls apart ;)

Oh, Baseball Glove leather oil is whatcha want :) Smoooooooth!!