Frangible ammunition?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by roosterjuicer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

Is it the real deal?

What would be a better home/self defense bullet? a 9mm 147 or 124gr hollow point or any of the frangible 9mm's out there?

I just bought a 9mm primarily for home defense (no 9mm bashing, she's already bought and paid for, i need to make the best with what I have, no need for suggestions on a new gun/caliber) and I want to know what is the best ammo to put in it.

I currently use 147 hydra shock hollow points.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In my experience, the "frangible" ammo in 9mm does not break up when impacting a soft target be it flesh, wall board or body armor. The Speer RHT remains intact after impacting our shredded rubber backstop. It will act much like FMJ in a human target unless it hits a substantial bone.

You must consider any expected intermediate barriers when chosing your bullet. If you are in a cold climate where any intruder would likely be wearing heavy clothing, go heavier. The 147 Gold Dot is not subsonic and works well. The 124+P Gold Dot is a reasonable alternative. In a warm climate where the anticipated intruder would likely be wearing nothing heavier than a t-shirt and jeans, the 115 JHP would be sufficient (Probably).