Frangible Ammo for Home and Carry

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 12fretter, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I'm just starting the process of looking for small quantities of frangible ammo and am looking at Ammunition to Go. They have 2 different .45ACP's listed....96 grain +P and 68 grain +P.

Since my typical range ammo is 230 grain FMJ, I'm now lost as to what 68 and 96 grain means. Is that how many pellets are in the frangible part? Another site has 150 grain.

What would be the best frangible ammo for both carry and home defense?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Now I'm reading that frangible is not the way to go for either home defense or carry because of the lack of stopping power, and to just stick with high quality JHP. Anyone wish to confirm this? And what is the better or best JHP? Since I'm only buying one box of each, I'm ok with expensive.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

I wouldn't mess with the frangible stuff either unless I was REALLY worried about penetrating apartment walls or something like that.

When I carry my 1911 I load it with 230gr Remington Golden Saber. But then, I put a few hundred of those rounds through it first to confirm function. I suggest you do the same. Don't buy one box and call it good unless your self defense handgun is a revolver.

I carry Fiocchi Extreema XTP in my 9mm. It isn't too expensive to run through the gun at the range and Hornady's XTP bullet is a known performer.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Magsafe and Glaser are niche loads and VERY expensive. The terminal reliability is great on unprotected targets, but can be dismal when facing something like a heavy leather jacket. Stick to good HP ammo. My preference is the Speer Gold Dot.

And, the stated grain weight is the total weight of the projectile. Weight gives penetration. Extreme light weight projectiles such as this are prone to make shallow nasty wounds that do not reach the vitals of a large or heavily clothed adversary.

4. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Milk jugs? Really? If you are planning on being attacked by milk jugs, either is just fine. If you are preparing for self defense from animate objects, look no further than the Speer Gold Dot. I thought we all got over the infatuation with the "Talons" 20 years ago with the Black Talons. They had and still have a nasty habit of shedding the jackets inside real targets. The Golden Sabre is worse than that. I see the results in REAL targets....GOLD DOT!

6. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I wouldn't use frangible ammo for self defense. It would probably
    cause a nasty surface wound and nothing else allowing the bad
    guy to stay in the fight. I carry the Winchester Ranger "T",
    Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST. They are all good with some
    better than others depending upon who you talk to. :rolleyes: