Fourth of July. Then and now.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jo da Plumbr, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. When I was a kid I remember having the big barbeque with friends and family. We had a pool and we swam all day. (wait 20 minutes after eating or you’ll drown) Then we’d all go to the park for a big public fireworks show. (oos and ahhs) Great times!

Now we always go out of town for the weekend. (The dog always runs away so now we just drive him). This year we’re going to the mountains for four days. Not the excitement of younger days but still one of my favorite holidays.

Any one else want to share their plans and or memories?

2. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Well I go out of town as well (I live in the boonies). I get to go swimming all day at a barbeque. We play horseshoes and other lawn games. All of the men and boys can't wait until its dark so we can start doing our fireworks! Lots of games and good times with family...

3. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

Every year big BBQ swimming / fishing on the lake behind the house. As soon as it was decently dark My father would break out the fireworks with me right behind him begging and pleading "can I light them? can I? can I? can I?" Until FINALLY! When he decided I had the brains not to blow my self up, I got the answer I had been waiting forever for. after me and the rest of the few kids in the area shot off the cheap stuff. We went down to the lake and watched the fathers shoot off the GOOD stuff.

This year there is a parade for the troops not to far away we will be attending, Then its off to the dear lease with the goods. There's 4 guys on there and so all in all there will be about 20 or so people.

BTW..
    Looking at the receipts at the end of the day is all worth while seeing how excited kids get..

4. p11shooter

p11shooter New Member

As long as I don't blow myself or anyone else up, it's always a good Independence Day!:D

5. LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers New Member

Ah, the fourth of july...

The day when we celebrate the independence of our nation by blowing up a small part of it. :D

6. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

My apartment complex has a strict "No fireworks" rule. Nothing at all. I'm thinking I might rish it for one firework.

Edit:

That or I'll go Muslim on 'em and fire my guns in the air.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I usually get together with some friends & set off some fireworks (only 1 police warning so far) in Memphis. This year, i'll probably just go swimming at the river.

Get a "saturn missile launcher" 100 shot version & extend that fuse. It'll be going for a few minutes, so you will have time to enjoy it after running & then looking innocent.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My neighborhood has sounded like downtown Baghdad for near on a week. Mostly small stuff but come the 4th the dads get into the spotlight and we all enjoy the evening as the neighborhood falls into a band of scofflaws!

From my pool (and hot tub) we can watch two different city park professional shows. The fireworks look great reflected on the lake's surface.

It's been raining more than usual so I'm hoping for a clear evening.

Here's hoping everyone has a safe and fun holiday from the Canebrake homestead!

1fireworks.jpg

9. bkt

bkt New Member

This year, we will NOT be going to enjoy the city's fireworks display. Instead, we will go to a friend's cottage up on Lake Ontario, shoot a lot, fish a lot, let the dogs run off-leash (illegal), drink adult beverages off private property (illegal), and set off all sorts of fireworks (very illegal).

In other words, we will be enjoying our independence.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Sounds like we live in the same place.:eek:

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm going to DC for the fireworks this year. While I'm sure they will be great, I'm also sure that having to wait in some stupid security line and then pay $10 for a coke will put me in a bad mood.

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I love fireworks. But I hate crowds.

Try to have a nice 4th anyway.:D