Four Wal-Mart employees fired for disarming an alleged shoplifter

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dunerunner, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Par for the course in this country. Punish good behavior and reward bad behavior.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Now how did that felon get a firearm anyway? You don't suppose he was unaware of the prohibitions against felons owning/carrying/robbing with firearms, do you?

Tsk, Tsk.

Kudos to the Wmart workers.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i sent walmart a nasty gram. that sort of behaviour is disgusting.

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

You should hear my story of how they fired me for stopping a shoplifter while I was working retail security. They are a bunch of idiots, trust me. I could write a book on laws they break. I would love to fill in more details, but I'm afraid it might jeopardize my lawsuit.

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Fired for stepping up and acting like human beings instead of letting this scum bag possibly kill someone? I guess they should have fallen to thier knees and begged for mercy, in accordance with company policy of course.

7. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Maybe they were hoping he would pick up a few things on his way out of the store.. after all a sale is a sale.

Scubie

8. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Par for the course in most retail settings. If one of those employees gets hurt while attempting to disarm someone, Wal Mart is facing a massive lawsuit. Not saying I agree with it, but that is the way it is.

9. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I just don't understand how the line between following company policy and not being, or allowing someone else to be murdered, can be so staunchly adhered to.

10. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Wal-Mart Response

My response from Wal-Mart: my note? words bunched together.

Thank you for your message.

Dear neophyte,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. This is a difficult situation and we understand people may have strong opinions about this particular policy. Unfortunately, the information being given by these individuals doesn't accurately reflect what took place. This policy, which is standard with other retailers, has been put in place to help ensure everyone's safety.

Our associates are trained on this policy to help avoid situations that put our customers and associates in jeopardy. Simply, we cannot condone associates taking matters into their own hands and acting in a manner that that jeopardizes peoples' safety.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

Folks; this is ugly. Very ugly.4 Layton Walmart employees fired after disarming gunman caught shopliftingyour message, to customers and staff; reprehensible under any condition. protecting oneself, or a co-workerWhat is this message you are sending out, to the very community that supports your business.at best; a poor repersentation in ''management" behavior

11. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife works for a discount clothing store, (that will remain nameless due to fears of retribution). This store's policy is not to prosecute shop lifters. They even have store security, but will not prosecute. A couple of local cop shops have threatened to not come to calls since they don't prosecute. If you work there you get fired. Nothing more, nothing less.