found some guns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by aloo, Aug 18, 2010.

1. aloo

aloo New Member

cleaning my grandmas house out after her passing we found my grandpa's army issued 1911. sn: 454160 (i think made in 1918/1919) and also some old boxes of remington dupont .45 and some twin cities arsenal .45. also with the US issued shoulder holster but it's missing some straps. also has 4 magazines.

Also a spanish "LLAMA .32) stoeger arms i think, new in box with cleaning rod and screwdriver. and a box of .32 remington dupont rds. I don't plan on selling any of it but does any one have an idea of the value of these guns.

my uncle wants to keep them for self defense and i want to buy him a new guy and trade him for the 1911 so i can keep it for collection.

thanks,
    alan

2. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

If I had my Grandaddys army issued 1911 I wouldn't sell it or trade it for the world. Let alone use it for self defense. I can't answer the how much is it worth question but I do agree with buying a gun for your uncle and keeping that priceless 1911.

ps get ready to bring on the da noise and bring on da funk or something along those lines. :p

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Sell the ammo to a collector & keep the pistols. Get your uncle an RIA 1911 or something along those lines.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree on the ammo. Dupont got entirely out of the explosives industry a LONG time ago. Do not want to think about the age of the ammo. Will it still work?

Maybe.

5. aloo

aloo New Member

i was never planning on selling the pistols and would probably never shoot the 1911. i want to keep it in the family so i'm gonna try to get my uncle something like a ruger p95 or something like that that is not expensive b/c he just wants something for home defense. he could care less what it is. he's not really a gun guy. and the ammo i was never going to fire it. i will probably just hold on to it unless i find someone that is really really interested in it.
    thanks,
    alan

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

good choices...post some pics, lots of folks here would love to see 'em.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And pics help w pricing.

8. aloo

aloo New Member

here are some pics. sorry it was with my phone b/c i think my sister has the camera.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. aloo

aloo New Member

last pic.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    i really like the size and style of this llama but i wish it was .380 and not .32 or i'd carry it

thanks for the input guys,
    alan

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That baby is a M1911! Don't do a thing with it other than keep it safe, dry, oiled and give it plenty of love.

Your Colt was built late in 1918.

The value runs from $1,000 for a 60% up to $4,250 for a 98% gun.

Your gun however is priceless due to it's history.

Restoration of that gun would ruin it's value! Leave it alone. PLEASE!

11. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Very nice guns.
    I see surface rust on the 1911, oil that baby down!

12. Nra-Life-Member

Nra-Life-Member New Member

Very Nice 1911!! Keep it!

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh yeah;

Bring on da noise bring on da funk.

[​IMG]

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Beautiful. Keep it forever.

Have fun with the llama.

15. aloo

aloo New Member

thanks for the replies. my plan was to just oil it and then put it away for safe keeping to pass on and keep in the family forever. is there anything else i should do for long term storage? i know manufactures pack them with grease b/c they don't know how long they will sit in storage or will it be fine with a good cleaning and oiling?
    thanks,
    alan

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do not leave it in holster. If you use a plastic container, put a dissicant package in with it (and still keep an eye on it). find a good leather protector for the holster.

(now if you want to avoid the headaches of storage, you can always send the setup to me.)

Good find.

17. superc

superc Member

I agree do NOT store it in the holster. That is probably what caused the slide pitting. Leather holsters are acidic. Store a pistol in one for a few decades and corrosion starts and spreads.

I have my own grandfather's WWI 1911 and wouldn't even think of selling it. My dad carried it in WW2, and he gave it to me when I joined the Army myself a few decades later. I carried it for decades (eventually retired for a 1991, but nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a firing pin safety). Three generations of the same family have owed their lives to the same pistol. The concern of Collectors can be ignored from my perspective. It has new Wolff springs in it and yes, I still shoot it sometimes (although decades later other .45s and 1911s sold by foolish people have also crawled into my safe) and it works with any ammo I have ever fed it. Mine has very little bluing left. I intend it to stay functional. My hope is someday a son or daughter of mine will also get it. And their kids and their kids, etc.

Yours is a Colt 1911 and I concur on the circa 1918. Very nice. In the pictured condition with the magazines and the old ammo bidding would probably start at around $750 and could (in the right economy) go up to two or three times that. This is a terrible economy however and some people who have fallen on really hard times have had to let some old Colt's go at ridiculously low prices this year.

The ammo probably still works just fine. I would at least think about getting new Wolff spring packs for both the pistol and the magazines. I note from the grip wear it has probably been fired almost as much as mine. You could always just baggie the older springs and store them with the holster.

The Llamas came in varying degrees of quality. Slimmer after market grips are available for it. Not much collector interest for them (yet, cause things change). Just the grips of the .45 could possibly bring enough to buy a Llama like that in today's marketplace.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Some wonderful pistols you have there. You need to snag that 1911 and keep it safe. The history tied to it and your family is priceless.

19. aloo

aloo New Member

what would you guys suggest i do if i were to store it in my safety deposit box?
    thanks,
    alan

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Not a bad idea. What I would also do is document how the handgun came to your possession and who (with some kind of dates) had it before. Documentated history is an added factor for collector guns.