Found an old friend

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by BenLuby, Apr 6, 2012.

1. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I've had this for years, but thought I'd lost it in my many moves and traveling. It was in an old box I almost threw out, and thought you may like to see it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the Italian Colt, and has obviously seen usage (not by me. Only fired it once, and put it up.) But it is a piece of Americana, and I am so happy to have found it yet again. I know it's probably worth it's weight in scrap, but to me it has significant value.

2. Familyofshooters

Familyofshooters New Member

Very nice! Glad you found it after all these years.

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Thanks FoS. It's over 140 years old right now. Glad it is now safely in my room being proudly displayed. (Wife took it away. She wants it.)

4. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Colt never ever made a Brass framed 51 Navy. This revolver is a budget priced reproduction. Most likely a Pietta ASM or some other firm in Italy. It can be dated by the code dates on the frame. I would say no more than 30 years old. These Brassers are weak so if you shoot it stay light with BP loads.:)

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Well then I got duped when I bought it. Nor will I fire it again. It looks nice, and the wife thinks it's cool, so it can go on a shelf.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

If you get a chance, post some of the markings to see if anybody can ID the maker for you.

I have admired the look of the brass-framed revolvers many times; i wish somebody would make a steel-framed replica with some kind of brass coating to make it look brass (maybe cerakoted).

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Will do later on today.