Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How do I know when to say when? Rub rub rub, for how long

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I need to figure out how to get the slid off..

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You work at it until you are happy with the looks ...... or your arm s fall off or blind from flying parts ! :p
There are easier ways to do what you are doing but you will need to buy the right equipment to do that . It all depends on how interesting you find the work . My shops have been growing for years with all the different treasures & rescues I have taken on . A few bucks here & there for things add up to thousands over the years . The pride in your work after done is all worth it . :) If you keep the project around ..... you can always go back to it & make it better as your skill increases . Those same skills will transfer over to other things too .
Example :
My mom was refinishing a spool cabinet & the hardware looked bad ...... she could have painted them ...... or have he son polish them & gold plate them . I have the equipment so in a day she had her shinny gold parts back to put on her project .
The tools don't know if it is a gun part or a spool cabinet & they still do make the job a lot easier .
:)

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You work at it until you are happy with the looks ...... or your arm s fall off or blind from flying parts !
There are easier ways to do what you are doing but you will need to buy the right equipment to do that . It all depends on how interesting you find the work . My shops have been growing for years with all the different treasures & rescues I have taken on . A few bucks here & there for things add up to thousands over the years . The pride in your work after done is all worth it . :) If you keep the project around ..... you can always go back to it & make it better as your skill increases . Those same skills will transfer over to other things too .
Example :
My mom was refinishing a spool cabinet & the hardware looked bad ...... she could have painted them ...... or have he son polish them & gold plate them . I have the equipment so in a day she had her shinny gold parts back to put on her project .
The tools don't know if it is a gun part or a spool cabinet & they still do make the job a lot easier .
:)
I appreciate the insight. And thanks for the support

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I appreciate the insight. And thanks for the support
You can do what ever you are willing to learn to do PJ . :)
You can always count on me to tell you ...... it looks like crap ! :p
If you keep it fun & interesting it is a great hobby .
If it ticks you off or turns to to much work ...... let it set a bit ...... then with a better mindset you can go back at it again . :cool:
Then again all this advice comes from a guy in flip flops that plays around on big equipment & has fun doing it with a pepsi in hand . :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You can do what ever you are willing to learn to do PJ . :)
You can always count on me to tell you ...... it looks like crap !
If you keep it fun & interesting it is a great hobby .
If it ticks you off or turns to to much work ...... let it set a bit ...... then with a better mindset you can go back at it again . :cool:
Then again all this advice comes from a guy in flip flops that plays around on big equipment & has fun doing it with a pepsi in hand . :rolleyes:
Ron, you are a special breed, your a down to earth straight forward honest, in a respectful way kinda person. I appreciate your concerns and motivation on my project.(thank you)... I have been working on it. Barrel portion, outside surface (so far) to me cleaned up real nice. Keep in mind, I travel for work once and awhile. This i deemed a travel project. I'm in no rush to get it done. But assured, something will become of it. I have NO info on it. NO info on how to take it down. I am a mechanical kinda person. I'm not shy to dig in at a project. (Example). Rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder, that is bigger then me(see pix), with only a drawing to service it? Oh ya, the seals were 30k... No pressure there.... I was able to remove the slide lock arm, the slide did move a lil more forward towards the muzzle, but it hits something solid.. Trying to figure out what to do next.. But yes I'm still tinkering with it.. I really need tear down help!!
2018113095090201(1).jpg

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ron, you are a special breed, your a down to earth straight forward honest, in a respectful way kinda person. I appreciate your concerns and motivation on my project.(thank you)... I have been working on it. Barrel portion, outside surface (so far) to me cleaned up real nice. Keep in mind, I travel for work once and awhile. This i deemed a travel project. I'm in no rush to get it done. But assured, something will become of it. I have NO info on it. NO info on how to take it down. I am a mechanical kinda person. I'm not shy to dig in at a project. (Example). Rebuilt a hydraulic cylinder, that is bigger then me(see pix), with only a drawing to service it? Oh ya, the seals were 30k... No pressure there.... I was able to remove the slide lock arm, the slide did move a lil more forward towards the muzzle, but it hits something solid.. Trying to figure out what to do next.. But yes I'm still tinkering with it.. I really need tear down help!! View attachment 232232
Wow PJ !
If you can work on that monster ...... a gun is a walk in the park ! ;)
I have found on line a lot of help . Resurrecting guns is real interesting . If you find a parts schematic it helps you see what all is in one . Some of the bigger gun parts places have them on line . With more searching you can find on YouTube people that have taken them apart . Some are a lot of help & some are just funny to watch them screw things up . :p
Being a pocket project for on the road will give you a lot of time to mess with it & learn about it .
Then when back home some time you will easily tear it down & can blue it or what ever else you want to do with it . A few needed tools in a shoe box will help too . Like .... a set of punches ...... hollow ground screw driver set ...... small steel .... brass ...... leather hammers ...... shop rags .... oil ..... bandages for fingers :p Good light & a magnifier helps too .
Could get a Scooby Do lunch box for it all to carry . :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
And don't be in a hurry to get it done.
Once ya had it locked back did you turn the barrel counter clockwise?
Yes. I believe the sequence was. Lock slide back, rotate barrel, slide barrel forward a little bit, rotate barrel back to starting position, then the barrel pulled out the rest of the way.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I managed to remove the slide lock lever itself. After removing the barrel, pull the trigger, the slide moves a lil more forward releasing spring tension??? With a lil wiggling, slide lock will pull out... Still the slide will not come off. With the barrel off and slide lock removed, the slide is a bit more relaxed. But its hitting something solid... Im trying to remove it like most typical pistols. No success... I need two of these, one to learn the "disassemble" process, one to share my learning experience with..

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
To be honest, I'm coming to a loss. I'm not sure what to do next. I haven't removed the grips yet. Because I'm nervous about a previous comment about springs flying out..

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'm having a crazy idea.... FTF GROUP, here we go. Now my thought is... FTF, help me figure this disassembly AND reassembly out, YOU GUYS get to decide the final finish... Leave as is, reblue, have it painted to FTF colors, whatever.... FTF gets to decide the final finish...

41 - 60 of 178 Posts