Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Administrator
34,180 Posts
Looks like a great project. Show us as you progress.

Reactions: PeeJay1313

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
That is pretty slick PeeJay!

Reactions: PeeJay1313

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A tender hand with some 0000 steel wool with oil is all that needs.
I will give it a try. This would be my first try to clean something like this up. My LGS had this sitting around on a shelf for a few months, its been calling my name. Lol.. I thought it would make a good learning experience.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
PJ, if that pistol has the same trigger bar system as the Baby Browning, be cautious when taking the grip panels off, or you will get a real "learning experience" reassembling the piece.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know nothing about it. I believe the salesman pull the slide back about half way, rotated the barrel and remove it. If anyone can share some insight or documentation on this piece, I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chainfire, I hope you got your ears on my friend. I'm getting ready to start to tackle this project and I'm looking for some reassurance.... 0000 steel wool with some oil and just rub rub rub the rust away??? This is my first attempt to recondition a firearm

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone offer some info on how to take this lil bugger apart?

·
Administrator
26,002 Posts
If the internals are like the Baby Browning, use THIS: 25auto-s.pdf (browning.com)

You can use 0000 steel wool wetted with a good amount of light oil, however, I have a different method for "de-rusting" guns.

Go to the grocery store, housewares section. Fin a COPPER Chore-boy scouring pad. No stainless, not copper PLATED steel. Copper. Softer than steel. Wet pad with any light oil, rub lightly. Continue until arm falls off. Gun will take on a coppery hue. Take clean, soft cotton cloth (old T shirts work well) wet with oil, use arm that did not fall off, rub, moving to a clean spot on cloth as needed. Copper color comes off.

WILL NOT RESTORE BLUING, or replace metal that went away- but IMHO, does less damage to remaining blue than steel wool.

At one time half the villages in Spain and Italy were making small automatic pistols. Think the other half made small revolvers. My cat is looking at me funny, wondering why I have my head turned sideways, trying to look at your pictures. Still cannot read markings on pistol.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Chainfire, I hope you got your ears on my friend. I'm getting ready to start to tackle this project and I'm looking for some reassurance.... 0000 steel wool with some oil and just rub rub rub the rust away??? This is my first attempt to recondition a firearm

That’s what I use, Rem oil and 0000 steel wool works great. It may need longer scrubbing and possibly different methods besides just steel wool and oil depending on how deep the rust is. But 0000 steel wool and Rem oil works great on light surface rust.

I think anything less then 0000 steel is too abrasive and will likely scratch the finish of the firearm to whereas 0000 is softer then the actual firearm itself.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can post more pictures. This is a learning experience "project". No real value to gain. Saving the bluing, not an issue. I was thinking about having it cerakoted to look rustic... Sounds crazy but yes, clean off the old, to have it painted to look old.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I can post more pictures. This is a learning experience "project". No real value to gain. Saving the bluing, not an issue. I was thinking about having it cerakoted to look rustic... Sounds crazy but yes, clean off the old, to have it painted to look old.
:eek: paint ?
I would tear it down & rust blue it .
Then again I am not the sharpest tack in the box . :p

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yes, idea's.... Please..
PJ ..... check out the video on rust blueing on the net . You can do a small gun like that in your kitchen . I use that brownells stuff & it worked good on the guns I did . My set up is for long guns but small stuff I do in the kitchen . ( no wife to yell at me with gun parts all over the counter top ! ) :p

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PJ ..... check out the video on rust blueing on the net . You can do a small gun like that in your kitchen . I use that brownells stuff & it worked good on the guns I did . My set up is for long guns but small stuff I do in the kitchen . ( no wife to yell at me with gun parts all over the counter top ! ) :p
I'm married...

1 - 20 of 178 Posts