Found a Lower I want but ?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Triumphman, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

It's a Billet Lower from FTW(F*%K The World) "SHTF" Receiver. Found Pics on Joe Bob's Outfitters which is what led me to them.
    Apparently it's from Quentin Defense, but I don't know anything about FTW as a Company(Wichita Kansas) nor QD as a Manufacturer.

If anybody has any info on either, I would really appreciate it. I live just across the State Line from them, so a little trip would be likely if this looks good and I can walk in/out with Lower in hand.

Just wanting something a little different over the usual Rollmarks out there, but quality of the Receiver is most important.

If things look good, this will be joined up with a new PSA Premium Madness Upper Assembly, LPK and other accessories I have ordered.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Never heard anything negative about quentin defense. Never heard of ftw at all.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have a Quentin Defense billet lower, their US Army Edition and it's very well made. Flared magwell and excellent fit/finish. (They do the other armed services as well.) I finished it with a PSA LBK and currently it has a PSA madness midlength upper. Perfect fit, functions well, no complaints. The QD finish is satiny like my S&W lower and Daniel Defense upper while my PSA and BCM uppers are more matte.

Don't know anything about FTW but I expect QD does the rollmark for them. Any vets reading, you really should look at the military editions!

BTW, I have no affiliation with QD other than as a customer.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sure you're not a silent partner?:D

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Of course you can always get a SWAT Firearms billet lower. They're made in Texas and I sell them all the time. I sell the SWAT billet lowers for $189.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nope, not even that!

But I will admit I used to live right down the road from QD, in Gilbert, AZ!

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

maybe they are relatives you didn't know you had!:D

i have heard of the company before and usually have heard good things about them.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I built on a QD, and it was of excellent quality. I'd absolutely buy from them again.

Bottom line: If the price and rollmark work for you, buy away. I see no reason to deter you.

9. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Thanks Guys. FTW is apparently a local Coating's Business and decided they would come out with their own version of a Lower Rollmark and joined with Quentin Defense as the Manufacturer.

10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Anytime you ahve a billet lower you are doing well :)

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

not always...

billet just means its milled out of a block of aluminum which is first cast into the block. forged means it was cast into the shape skipping the machining part.

with aluminum there is no structural difference in metals of the same grade when it comes to carving out of a block of aluminum or pouring into a mold.

what IS important is, is the lower made to milspec tolerances or better??

in a upper, if your machinists are very good and using new or very good condition cutting tools you can get very close tolerances from carving out of a billet of aluminum. this matters for uppers, for lowers long as it meets milspec it doesnt matter. all the accuracy of a AR15 is in the upper.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

JonM makes an excellent point. As long as the lower is milspec where it needs to be (I.E. accept milspec lower parts and fit well with standard uppers and magazines) then forged or billet will do. So there's no requirement to go billet unless you want other niceties such as different styling, a flared magwell, no roll pins, custom trigger guard, special engraving, a screw to remove upper/lower slop, etc. Again, niceties but not necessary. QD does milspec and niceties as well as anyone so I couldn't resist their US Army Edition, especially since Quentin is my middle name.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other point i forgot to put in there.

companies like rra are forged lowers but you will have a DAMN hard time finding a tighter fitting closer tolerence lower than the basic RRA lower. i use their lowers in most of my rifles. i have one colt one bcm lower the wife has a bcm lower as i bought hers complete. the rra lowers blow the colt and bcm away for fitment.

just because its forged doesnt mean loose. just because its billet doesnt mean tight fitment. it boils down to how the final fitting and machine work are done.