found a colt navy gun hunting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jonnym6636, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jonnym6636

jonnym6636 New Member

hi to everyone iam looking for some help me and my boy were out hunting and he found an old gun in the dirt i think it is an old navy colt a 1851 model it was loaded and in the half cocked the rounds look like the paper cartage it all rusted the wood gripps are gone it dose have 36 cal on the side and i found a serial number on it in 2 placesthe number is 200658 can someone help me find out how old this gun is or know were i could find out thanks

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I bet somebody here would be able to help you out. In the meantime, here is a website with a list of antique firearms appraisers.
    A lot of the appraisers out there can do an appraisal based on you sending them some money and a bunch of pictures.
    Antique Gun Resources - Goodman Wesson & Associates - Antique Gun & Firearm Appraisal

BTW Welcome to the forum. If you get a moment post in the introductions thread. You might get more response after you introduce yourself to the fine men and women of this site!

3. jonnym6636

jonnym6636 New Member

4. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The fact that it says "36 Caliber" indicates its likely a replica. Caliber designations weren't used on original blackpowder.

Incidentally, advertising of the day called .44 Caliber guns "Of Army caliber" and .36 Caliber guns "Of Navy caliber."

The lack of wood grips doesn't really indicate age, rodents eat wood grips pretty quickly, for the salt left from the user's hands.

Bob Wright