Foster slug hunting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bowhunter17, Apr 21, 2013.

1. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

What are your experiences hunting deer with slugs in a smooth bore? Also, any advice?

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Foster slugs in a smooth bore are not unlike a marble in a rain gutter in my experience, do yourself a favor and get a rifled barrel "shotgun" and use the new sabot slugs.
    Much more accurate and you will get cleaner more humane kills. At the very least get something with real sights not just a front bead.

3. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Oh, thanks. I just thought that I wouldn't need a rifled barrel because the range is very limited where I hunt.

4. Pasquanel

Well try them out what you consider shooting range and if you can consistently hit a 10" circle or paper plate you may do just fine. But if you cannot consider the noble beast yo are about to maim.;)

5. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

I probably will get the mossberg 500 field deer combo, but all I have now is an old savage 745 and a browning auto five(which I won't hunt with). How well will a rifled choke work with sabots?

6. Pasquanel

Rifle accuracy within its range, I live in S. Maine and would feel more than adequately armed with such a set up.

7. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

I have a mossberg with a rifled barrel, shoots Remington copper solids like a boss and it's so damn accurate.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My best advice would be to have a good set of iron or fiber optic sights and hunt sub 100 yards, and not use a scope.Most scoped shotguns are rifled shotguns and firing 300 grain sabot slugs and recoil is manageable, the Foster style slugs in 12 gauge can easily be upwards of 500+ grains and you will either get hit with the scope at some point or be too afraid to really get in there in the scope out of fear of recoil to make an accurate shot.

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I have seen a smooth bore shotgun that could group under 6" at 150 yards. But, that is not the norm. Try yours with an IC or Mod chokes and different brand slugs to see which combination works best. Most guns are good at least out to 75 yards with the right combination if you do your part.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Not true man the 2 3/4" rifled slugs don't kick that bad I have used them many times with a scope

11. Millwright

Millwright Member

FWIW I fed my family (and a lot of the neighborhood kids) with deer taken with foster slugs shot from a A-5 FC barrel. Most were taken in the 40-70 yd. range. Longest shot was a one-shot kill at a measured 145 yds. >MW

12. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Cool. The A-5 was my first shotgun.

13. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Ive used slugger slugs with a skeet choke tube in my Remington 870 express super mag to take deer up to 100yrds. Really not that big of a deal. Getting proficient with your shotty and your ammo choice is the key to a successful hunt. You don't need a rifled barrel at 100yrds and in. In my experience you can reach on out to 125 or so if you practice.

The first gun I bought when I got married 24yrs ago was a 12ga pump. There isn't anything it cant do when you are broke, on a budget, or just starting out in your adult life.

14. Millwright

Millwright Member

FWIW, I lost four good deer to buckshot before switching to slugs. Never "lost" another ! >MW

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

"Marble in a drain pipe"? I think not. A foster slug has a hollow base that flares out from the pressures astern and seals the bore pretty well. Bead sight 100 yds pie plate all day.

My handload, hand cast 7/8 oz slug load will put 20 consecutive shots in a legal size sheet of paper at 100 yds STANDING, unsupported. There are several memers here that witnessed it.

When I was forking the range full time, I could hit a small truck at 400 meters EVERYTIME with a Winchester 1 oz slug. I did it as a demo 3 times a day two days a month for two years.