Forums that exclude you from membership based on your Email address

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zebramochaman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Can anyone explain to me why certain forums will not accept your membership because of your email address? One forum that I would like to join is the Ruger forum. I was denied access because I use gmail for my ISP. I have run into the same thing on other sites.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard of this before (it may have been you who mentioned it), and the only thing I can say is this, I see more spammers, hackers, and all around a-holes frequenting my inbox using g-mail than any other email service.

I also have a g-mail, it's almost required with an android phone.

3. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I can understand that although I have not noticed a preponderance of gmail bad guys in my spams. I just want to be able to join some of these forums and I don't know what ISP's are acceptable. Do I have to set up a separate email account with Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. to be able to get in? what a PITA.

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

When I tried to signup over at Rimfire Central I couldn't get it done because of some conflict between them and my juno.com ISP, so I signed up for a free account over at gmail.com and bada-bing I was in just like that.

That said, there are other free providers like yahoo, juno and hotmail that might work for you. You might try signing up for some of the other free one and see if any of them work for you at the forum you're having trouble with.

BTW, I don't remember ever receiving any spam at my gmail address.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Could it be because of privacy issues. Especially with google, they store EVERYTHING and sell most.

6. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

I think it's the same with AR15.com?

7. mes227

mes227 New Member

gmail is fully anonymous so a lot of sites don't allow it as your only email address, because there's no connection to a real person (in the event you use their forum for illegal activity, for example, they don't want to be charged with being assessors.

8. mes227

mes227 New Member

Exactly the opposite. gmail is fully anonymous so a lot of sites don't allow it as your only email address, because there's no connection to a real person (in the event you use their forum for illegal activity, for example, they don't want to be charged with being accomplices. With most email accounts (Hotmail, Yahoo and essentially all POP3 accounts) you can determine the sender's location (and often much more) simply by checking the header. Not true for gmail. That's one of the reasons gmail became so popular so quickly.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I had a yahoo email address until i got this android phone then they made me start a gmail account. Ive started missing my iphone

10. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

you dont have to have a gmail account you just cant use the market if you dont. and you can configure your email app for yahoo mail

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That makes sense, i cant remember my password to my yahoo address anyways.