Forum Topic

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Shihan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What about a Forum area called something like "The FTF Kitchen" were recipes are given and discussed(for different type of game what marinade works best), cooking Item reviews i.e. Rotisseries, Coffee Makers, Grills(Gas or Charcoal). Also post Beer and Wine reviews or suggestions.
    A General place where all other Food related topics could be seen.
    Just a thought as I get ready for dinner.

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

There's a recipe sticky in the hunting forum. Not sure I want to know how to cook road kill possum from NC, tho. Just sayin....

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Finally I can contribute something, cuz I can keep up with anybody in that area!

4. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I think it is a good idea so you can learn different things to cook me lol:D

5. Shihan

That's just recipes. I am talking everything that has to do with Culinary arts, Maybe some one get a Foreman outdoor grill and recommends it and offers something. Or someone just tries a new Coffee blend and wants to share.
    Some gets the Emeril Cookware and shares their thoughts or Chef Tony's Miracle Blade or the Brownie pan that splits the brownies in portions as it cooks. You could merge the Recipes into it...Nevermind, it was a Stupid Idea.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think it's a very good idea as I cook and really enjoy the process. However, it may take us a bit far afield from firearms. So, even though I like the idea, I don't know if it fits here.

...but it is not a stupid idea. ;)

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Many of the threads (and many of the so-called "Epic" threads) are way off of the subject of firearms anyway. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. People who were brought together for a specific subject are now having fun with other subjects and activities. I think it's great.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Chapter I - Corned beef hash

Another good thing about St. Patricks Day...is corned beef hash! For my corned beef, I took a 7-lb. Kobe brisket, brined (corned) it for seven days in water, kosher salt, sugar, pickling spice, and saltpeter, then put it on the smoker over mesquite for six hours, finished in a 225-degree convection over for four more hours (didn't want TOO much smoke).

I made hash today with the leftovers and tossed the cubed meat together with sauteed onions, diced cooked potatoes, and a little fresh thyme, and crusted it up in butter in a saute pan on the stove.

Normally I would go with poached eggs, but they're a PIA and I was really hungry.

Attached Files:

9. Shihan

Now, that's what I'm talking about. That Looks Delicious.

10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Looks great Lon, I love your placements.

11. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Not a stupid idea Shi. By the way, the brownie pan is great except that the middle brownies are a little hard to get out. I usually use brownie mix, but I doctor it up with vanilla instead of part of the water and extra chocolate chips. I love that Mexican Vanilla.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yep, the Mexican vanilla is the best!

Have ya seen those muffin pans where all you get are MUFFIN TOPS??? My favorite part of the muffin.

No, Shi, not THAT kind of muffin-top.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm not saying it is a stupid idea. Spending good money on anything from Emeril would be. The brownie pan that splits the brownies is not the best idea as they don't cook the same as a regular pan of brownies. But what do I know. You get the new Chef's catalog yet?

14. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

No, I haven't received one lately. I received a Williams Sonoma gift certificate for Christmas and have been itching to use it. Just not sure what to get though.

The brownies cooked pretty evenly and all had crunchy sides, just the center ones were hard to get out.

Have you tried King Arthur flour? It is great, I never figured that the type of flour made a difference until I tried King Arthur. Now it is the only flour that I use, even if it has to be imported from VT.

lon, I've seen those pans, but haven't tried one yet. I bet my Tollhouse chocolate-chip muffins would be great as just muffin tops.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I think you're right. So when can I expect them?

16. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I don't know how they would ship. You going to be out this way any time soon?

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I was hoping to get down to Juarez for a vacation with the family (j/k ya) I have a good friend who was the opening GM for the DoubleTree there in El Paso. Are you familiar with it?

Maybe if we ever do the meet and greet you can bring some then!?

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The Sir Lancelot from King Arthur makes great pizza dough. There's some stuff that is even better, but I can't recall the name. I got a BIG bag of it from a professional chef friend of mine.

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The only thing I can't do is bake. Don't have the patience. :eek:

20. Shihan

I don't care for the Precise measurements needed for baking. I much rather add what I like and tastes good. No time for measuring devices.