Fortifying the home

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by ktmboyz, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I know a lot of you on here are or are working on being prepared with water, food, munitions ect ect.

What have you done to fortify the home for bugging in. I have been thinking about gettign some 3/4 ply when I see it on sale for lower level windows ect. Now I know its not going to stop rounds from coming in but it will block line of sight and they wont be able to kick the glass out and climb in.

What do you think would be best after I cut it to size for each window. I was thinking 3" deck screws, but if the power is out and my cordless is dead how an I gonna drive 100 3" screws by hand :( Looks like good ole hammer and nails

I don't rally want to drill my window cases for a possible problem that may never arise, but I dont want to be caught with my pants down either.

What else have you done or what else are some good things to think about and plan for to fortify the castle.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm on the third floor. I have a security system which includes motion sensitive IR cameras. Solid doors. The only window that is accessible from outside (via a neighbors window and a scary climb) is blocked. The rest can only be opened from the inside. You break one you'll be dead before you get through and you'll need a 30' latter to reach it. I also have chimes on the windows and doors. I have some form of weapon easily accessible from anywhere I may be (example shown below). I always have a gun on me. Any questions? Lol

Attached Files:

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Several 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood in the garage to use if necessary. 100 sandbags (some filled, some not), floods all around the house.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

white-trash-repairs-doorstopper2.jpg

claymore-thumb.jpg

Doors, hinges, and strike plates already reinforced. Shutters for windows.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

There isn't much you can do to fortify a wood frame house. It can be shot thru like a piece of cheese. It can be burned very easily. Even if your house is bricked, a couple torches on the roof and you're screwed. If they lay siege to your place then what? You can't stay there forever. I believe it was General Patton that said fixed fortifications were monuments to mans stupidity. Sure you can prepare for bad weather assuming it isn't a tornado but fortifying against determined attackers would be damn near impossible.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I like the air horn idea. Might modify it and add pepper spray.
    Where dis you get your claymores? I'll take a few. Lol

7. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Yes i realize you cant keep out everybody. It would be wise to strengthen the perimeter to keep out stray looters and such. Most would turn away if access wasn't easy. There is alway the chance of a determined attacker, but a shotgun or rifle should cure bad intentions.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

you can board up your windows without drilling any holes in the casing/siding.
    1. Cut the plywood panel to fit snug inside the exterior frame.
    2. Remove operable section of window
    3. Use 2x cross pieces to span across the window jambs
    4. Install carriage thru-bolts from ext-int

sort of like this

Attached Files:

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thats a good idea thank Dog.. I am gonna have to stock up on some carriage bolts and hardware and toss it in the shtf box

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

get the largest head bolt you can and use a washer - the larger the surface are the stronger it will be. it's not all that hard for a bg to punch one through the plywood if they wanted.

cost being a factor in most things if you have the option i would suggest using a siding plywood, like T111, it is much stronger than your average CDX.

11. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I think home fortification is something that has to be really thought out for each individual home, at least in terms of SHTF. I also think that people are still people no matter what. So they will probably take the path of least resistance every time. A strategically placed fence here and a thick row of hedges there and before you know it you have a really nice shooting lane that could disperse (or eliminate) a crowd in seconds.:)

At the end of the day though if someone really wants to take your home they could. There is some merit to what Patton said, but you can still make it so that they'll at least have to put a little thought into it. Crowds generally don't think they just react.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Basic military axiom- obstacles MUST be covered by direct fire, or they can be removed.

There is a long road leading into our place. If you live in a wooded area, and want to close a road, look up the term abatis.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Like my dear old Dad used to say to me: don't be a fascine you gabion!

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting topic.

bkt has indicated sandbags as he has flooding issues from time to time. That makes sense for his location. Now sand bags aren't going to keep someone determined to get in, out of his property, but it could slow them down.

Baring the windows with plywood, especially from the inside where you brace them against the studs in the walls with cross braces as dog2000tj has indicated is smart. You still loose all your glass to whatever natural disaster or man made eff-up that is coming, but at least you retain SOME control over the plywood cover. If you nail it to the outside, you can hook a couple of corners with mule tape, hook the other end to the back of a 4x4 and rip it right off.

At least with the plywood inside and mounted to 2x4 cross members that are anchored to wall studs, you remain some control.

Now my place has an oversized generator plumbed to the natural gas line, so it's running as long as the automated gas delivery system is working. That means I have power for lights, lots of them, including portable ones that can be turned on, off, aimed and turned back on to blind would be assailants.

We have the benefit of two German Sheppards that seem to treat this house and our yard as their personal castle. Even the mail and UPS folks have stopped ringing the doorbell and just place deliveries at the entrance to the walkway in/next to/behind the potted plant. :)

180,000 scent receptors will go a long ways towards telling you about trouble before you know it's there. Factor in the super sensitive hearing and you have an excellent early warning system. ;)

I think you need to evaluate what you have, and what you would do if you wanted to get into the area you are living. How would you approach it? What would you do first in recon, or in trying to infiltrate?

Work backwards from there on your defenses. Use what you see as a weakness in an approach and make it a strength on defense.

One of the coolest things I have seen first hand was at a house of a normal "back up" band musician's home here in the Seattle area. Guy was a jazz musician with some skill, but worked pretty much as a fill in band back up. Made decent money, but was cool and had a service call on the cable at his house that I was lucky enough to catch.

I show up and the guy has an EPIC Koi fish pond between the unattached garage and the entrance to the house. Like three bridges, but only one was straight from the parking area to the front door, the other two circled the pond like a peace symbol.

I'm walking up to the front door, on the straight, obvious pass and about two steps in there were 3 boards that were linked together and when you stepped on them, they completed a circuit and the pond light up, the doorbell went off and then about 5 flood lights kicked on. It caught me COMPLETELY off guard... LOL

It was a great set up, super easy to replicate, and totally effective if you aren't expecting it.

I think creative home defense is only limited by your own imagination. ;)

JD

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

LOL, I wonder if that guy has surveillance video of the event :confused:... that would be priceless!!! :D I'm a big fan of the motion activated lights/flashers/strobes/horns. Even if criminals are expecting them they can be set up in such a way as to still be effective ;)

of course a couple of well trained dogs are hard to beat :cool:

16. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

These are some good ideas. I had thought about wood on the inside but thought it would be to easy to ram in and knock off. Had not thought about it getting ripped off from the ouside. Guess the lag bolts would be the most secure. Its only wood so if someone really wants in they will get in, its more of a deterent.

Keep the ideas coming guys,, what else would you do to secure your home.

I have motion lights but if we have no power then they wont be on, and I wouldn't run my generator all night and day in a shtf event. Not only would that tell everyone within ear shot that you prob have things but gas will be an issue for most and would prob only run the get to pump water if and when needed.

I lost both My german shepards this past year and am working on another now after a few months of mourning.

17. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Lol I love this

Attached Files:

18. bkt

bkt New Member

That's a really need tree house, but a bad guy with a chainsaw can ruin your day....

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

simple solution ... secure 3 grizzly bears to the base of the tree with 20' of chain ;)

20. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"simple solution ... secure 3 grizzly bears to the base of the tree with 20' of chain "

That would for sure keep orangello away