Formula for making your own Case Lube

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Sniper03, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Wallace

Wallace New Member

I got my 99% isopropal alcohol at a feed store. You can get it there because It's used for muscular aches on horses.

2. Wallace

Wallace New Member

I haven't been able to find liquid lanolin though. I have tried CVS Walgreens, and the vitamin shop. I think I'm going to have to call around and see if any other pharmacy or health food place has it.

3. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I just buy it already made in a spray bottle from Dillon.

After sizing, it's easily washed off by tumbling in Tide and warm water.

If you need extra heavy duty lube for re-forming cases, Imperial sizing die wax is unbeatable.

5. MaGoo Idaho

MaGoo Idaho Member Supporter

Amen - Tried them all, Dillon is the only that I have not stuck cases on. Wipe them off with old T-shirt. 8 oz bottle lasts a couple of years. It costs eight dollars for 8 oz. At the price of gas I am not going to try to save eight bucks.

6. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Case lube is the least expensive of all reloading components. The case wall can be lubed with STP or etc. The necks are dry lubed with powdered graphite from a hardware store.
    Now, if you have a formula for smokeless powder I would be most interested. :D

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

EEEEEEK!
    Penetrating Oil and Ammunition!!!!!!!!!:scared:

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Bag Balm for lanolin based (farm supply). For water soluble good old KY Jelly or same stuff in store brand.

9. donniejoel

donniejoel New Member

Does anyone still use the old RCBS case lube and pad. I have used it for years with no problems. A small 2 oz bottle last a very long time. I have used the Hornady One shot lube, but it didn't last too long. I really don't see the need to make your on as easy as it is to just buy some.

Viking likes this.
  10. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 New Member

11. dh1633pm

dh1633pm New Member

I used lanolin and 99% alcohol. You can buy the stuff on ebay or Amazon. Spray the brass with a cheap spray bottle. Let it dry for a while and your ready to go. Works really good. Cheap and easier on your hand than petroleum based stuff. Works great.

12. Mozella

Mozella New Member

Lanolin and alcohol is what I use and it is indeed very good. However, it isn't something you can easily wipe off. As you point out, washing is best. I put my brass in the bottom of a medium sized bucket and give it a spray of Simple Green, swirl the cases around for a minute, add a tea kettle of boiling water, swirl, and then rinse with several changes of tap water. Since the lube process seems to dull the brass, I let the cases soak in water with a bit of LemiShine for 5 minutes to brighten them up. A final rinse and dry and they're ready for the next step.

JTJ likes this.
  13. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I use the Dillon lube. I have heard of folks using PAM (cooking stuff) in a pinch.
    For bullets, I use BACON grease. ;)

14. misser

misser New Member

i use the spray on stuff used on frying pans , PAM . ummm with extra virgin olive oil . then drop cases in the shaker .

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

One thing to watch out for!

If any manufacturer tells you that his lube does not need to be removed he's full of sh!t!

Reloading safety demands that It all needs to be removed, period!

303tom likes this.
  16. formerCav

I use the dillon brand spray. it is lanolin and alcohol. I still wipe the cases dry though right before I drop them into a case gage. I gage and inspect 100%!
    the Dillon lube costs less too as you get more cases per bottle of fluid then an aerosol can of PAM

17. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Why?

18. formerCav

my best guess is it can kill a primer and then you'd have a "dud" round.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Sulfur, saltpeter and charcoal.....

303tom likes this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I use Bag Balm which is pretty much the same thing and is available at ranch supply stores. Goes a long way. I simply touch it with my finger and rub it on the case. Use very sparingly. Clean with the above process or Dawn dish liquid. Simple Green or Dawn in the ultrasonic works too. I like the LemiShine idea and will try it next time. You can wash out the dies the same way and dry with a hair dryer.