Formula for making your own Case Lube

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Sniper03, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Doing some reloading this week and thought about sharing the following formula in this Thread.

Making your own good quality Case Lube is very simple. You will need go to your local pharmacy to get the ingredients.
    You will need two components. #1 Liquid Lanolin #2 99% Isopropyl Alcohol
    ********(Do not use 92%!)*******
    *Before Mixing put the containers of the two components in hot water that is around 105-110 degrees for around three minutes before Mixing the two together. *Not over an open flame or in a hot pan!!!!! Poor the water into a seperate container after heating and then set the components in their original container in the water.
    Then Mix 1 Part Liquid Lanolin to 4 or 5 Parts Isopropyl Alcohol depending on which you like best!

That is all there is to it! Happy Loading!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

3. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

Good one, but it's easier to just pick up a tin of Kiwi Mink Oil boot polish...

Below is a link with directions for making many lubes and cleaners.

Frog's Pad

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  4. barnjoer

barnjoer New Member

STP oil treatment works as well. [​IMG]

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

I have used full synthetic motor oil too. Apply on a small foam pad and it will last a long time.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Then there is the default mix. The old standby NRA formula of 50 percent liquid ALOX and 50 percent beeswax.

7. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

It works for bullets too.

8. MaGoo Idaho

MaGoo Idaho Member Supporter

I have tried about every product sold. I use an 40 year old Rock Chuck. Load about 2000, to 3000 total rounds a year of the following 223, 243, 25-35, 260, 270, 7mm-08, 300 Savage, 30-06 and 358 Win. For the last few years I found Dillon Case Lube to work best on the cartridges I load, and all are easy cartridge to size. One 8 oz spray bottle at 8.95 last over a year.

9. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

I was at home yesterday w/o any case lube and didn't want to leave so I tried several different things. Most didn't work but PB Blaster penetrating oil worked great. Just spray a little on your fingers and rub it on the case. No more commercial case lube for me.

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

What product do you use for the lanolin? The only liquid lanolin I found at CVS is for breastfeeding moms. Had to have the pharmacist order the 99% alcohol.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Using petroleum distallates as case lube can get inside the case or primer pockets and contaminate the components leading to misfires or hangfires.

In the old days they used tallow, beeswax, whale fat, and other non petroleum distallates as lubricants for lubing bullets and cases. Today lanolin and various natural waxes are the primary lubes when the lube may comein contact with gunpowder or primers

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

books,

You need to use the 100% Liquid Lanolin. Most health stores also have it and you can also find it listed on Amazon.com

13. 454fan

454fan New Member

lube

use bee wax,paraffin,stp,and scented candle wax,
    mix it up on burner for about 10min
    pour into 1" pvc with a 1/4" wooded dowel
    make its own hole to go into lube/sizer
    or melt and pour into a pan with bul;lets setting up right so go slow
    pan lubed ot 450 lubed
    its a hard lube when cooled

14. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 New Member

Found some old tarnished 30 year old jacketed bullets. Has anybody tried polishing there bullets in a corncob tumbler?

15. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

Everyone wants to be the "mad chemist". A quart of 80-90 gear oil will last a lifetime. Use on a stamp pad. It wipes off easily with an old towel.

16. garyalarson

garyalarson New Member

Wondering why not use Hornady's One Shot spray. I have that and Lee's lube. Not sure I want to start pouring motor oil or any petroleum based liquid on stuff. Thoughts?

17. bradam

bradam Member

just saw the stp thread. Had a old timer whom passed away who said he has used stp for years. (just a dab on the fingers) Do you use a lube tray or just your fingers. I saw him use it both ways. I have most of the reloading equip. and am working on my room, but have never loaded a round.

Viking likes this.
  18. bradam

bradam Member

so simple, now if someone could find a substitute for powder

19. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

If you try STP, it will leave a sticky mess on the cases that will have to be removed with gas or paint thinner.