Forget the Chinese...

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by janikphoto, Nov 3, 2008.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

2. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

Chinese used to make 100 round wind up drums. I can't find those anymore. Now all you can get are the East European 75's.

Wish I knew why the 100 round ones went away...........

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

$179! Really? Drums are that expensive now?

4. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Because the government decided that importing things from a company that also makes things for our enemy's army is a bad idea...

5. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

Well, it is kind'a pointless unless we are going to shut down Wal-Mart and exclude COSCO (Chinese Oversea Shipping Corporation) from the US. I think the Chinese operate both ends of the Panama Canal too. Bulgarians and Romanians (where a lot of AK's are coming in from now) are not "our enemies" only because of current (temporary) political convenience. :rolleyes:

Sounds "politically correct" but economically and logically weak. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to go look for more Type 56's.............. :D

6. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Still cheaper than the chinese 75 and 100 round drums that are now banned from importation. They sell for $200 to $300 at gun shows now.

And the question of "why" you can't find chinese stuff, well, people claim it's because of sanctions against a communist country, but I doubt it.

I think there was heavy lobbying from someone in washington that didn't care for the flood of cheap firearms coming into the USA. Maybe it was an anti-gun nut or maybe it was the US gun companies worried about losing market share? Who knows.

We know there are crazy anti-gun groups that have some powerful lobbyists in DC. We also know that US companies have lobbied to hamper foreign competition in the past, like the auto industry for example.

Just speculation and guessing, so don't make the above fact. really, it doesn't matter WHY chinese drums can't be imported anymore. At least we have someone making wind-up drums again...

7. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

I wish some one make the 100 round drums domesticly.

Anybody got a sheet metal shop that's looking for work?

Could be some serious money in this.........

8. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Just go to Wal-Mart and look around, you'll find plenty of chinese stuff.

9. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Exactly!!! So why ban the chinese guns, when they are making a ton more off us from selling tv's, stereos, etc... because some special interest group lobbied our government to ban the chinese firearms. Someone who had a lot to lose by all the cheap weapons coming in? I don't know...

10. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

Still lookin' for a sheet metal shop though.................

There's no patent on those drums.

11. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

You'd need to build them cheap to match or beat the current european piece's price. Assuming you sold them to gun retailers, who in turn sold them to the public, you'd need to be able to make them for around $30 a pop. Sell them to stores for $75, and they sell them to us for $150. Can you do it?!?

12. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

I don't know. That's why talking to a sheet metal man would be interesting.

Tooling would be the major investment. once the tooling is done production costs should be low.

The main question is, over how many units would you recover the tooling costs?

The larger the number of units, the lower your costs are; the smaller the number of units the more quickly you recover your costs.

13. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Because the ban on firearms and equipment was put into place by George Bush, and Clinton decided to give China "Most Favored Nation" trade status. One of them did something to fight our enemy, the other welcomed them to rape us...

14. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

If China has MFN status, then they should be able to export something that would actually be useful, like 100 round drums.............

15. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

so, if a new ban comes sometime next year, which mags do you think will be on the chopping block? Obviously the drums, but what other sizes?

16. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

My opinion is that any detachable magazine weapon will be banned. Also any weapon with a capacity in excess of 5 rounds (including chamber). The 5 round max is usually the state hunting maximum magazine capacity and the Dems will try to redefine the 2A to mean ONLY hunting and Olympic type target shooting. If they can make that re-definiton stick, then it will be easy to slowly regulate hunting out of existence with eviromental laws, state regs, transportation laws, ammunition laws, taxes, etc. Death by regulation. There will be too many battles in too many jurisdictions. Target competitions will eventually be limited to military and police.

If detachable magazines are not banned outright, 5 rounds will be max;
    probably all pump and auto shotguns will be banned so a 3 round max will not be imposed on them.

Just my opinion................

17. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Can I make drums at a machine shop and sell them without any license? I have access to a great CAD designer who runs a automated machine shop.

18. Northwoods

Northwoods New Member

There are no permits or licenses (Federal) for parts and accessories. I don't know what your State, county and local laws are. A local business attorney could let you know what restrictions (if any) exist.

Do you have a 100 round drum to "reverse engineer"? I'd be interested in any you build when you get ready to sell. This board and the internet would probably keep you busy for awhile.