Forget about irresponsible, is this even legal?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by drvsafe, Dec 24, 2012.

1. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties in New York State. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver.

It's posted in a Gannett company's website. Is this legal? Forget about the idea that it's horribly intrusive, and quite possibly dangerous.

http://www.lohud.com/interactive/ar...gun-permits-your-neighborhood-?nclick_check=1

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I find it grossly out of line and am stunned that this would be considered legal as stated in the article. I have notified my family and friends that live in those counties and given them a link to the article. I have also posted in on my FB page.

Oddly enough neither Rockland or the Westchester County Sheriff's office have contact emails ... too bad ... I would love to give them my opinion on the matter of putting people lives at risk! :mad:

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Prolly a good idea to post the names and addresses of all the ones who dont own guns there and make sure its distributed to the inmates at the local prisons and jails...

Works both ways

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I just don't get it the benefit of sharing this with the general public. More so, I don't get how it can be legal!!

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Last year here in Il the politicians wanted to make the FOID card list public. It got struck down in court before they could publish it. This seems very similar. Intrusive and there is no saying just because they have a pistol permit that they actually currently one a pistol.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

lo and behold it is legal in NY :eek: ...

just another cherry on top of the steaming pile of shit that is NY :p

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

LEGAL is based on the laws where YOU are. Not legal here, was at one time. Azzhat left wing rag decided to file under Freedom of Information for names and addresses of all CWP holders so they could publish them. Executive ordered limited dissemination to law enforcement. But a sharp internet wizard DID make public the home address and phone number of the reporter. (Yeah- how you like THEM apples, eh?)

Is it stupid? Oh hell yes! Irresponsible? Uh-huh. About what I would expect? Yep.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The attack on concealed carry laws will become more of a threat than the ASWB. The DNC is going to make this a leading issue as they build the case against the American Gun Culture. Bob Beckel a leading Democratic spokesperson has already started the push. He compares what they want to do to the bans on smoking. He claims they can shut down gun companies and gun owners the same way they killed Joe Camel.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

...all I got is WOW...

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

In Florida, with "government in the sunshine", almost any document, address, phone number, etc., that the state produces is public record. This includes the salaries of state employees. Exceptions are cops addresses and anyone's SSN. It is great if you are doing research, but stinks if you are a crook.

11. 1911love

1911love New Member

Chain, I believe in FL CWP info isn't public. I think we have a statute to prevent names from being made public, I'm not sure though.

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I sent out a letter to the editor:

I am not familiar too much with journalism, so perhaps you can enlighten me on exactly what was the purpose of posting this information.
    Is it simply because New York State allows you to do so through the freedom on information act.
    Do you feel you are protected under the 1st amendment to potentially endanger law abiding citizens?

I'd like to know why, in these highly volatile times, you choose to post a map of every gun permit holder in these counties?
    What do you hope to gain?
    What are you trying to educate the public on?

Do you realize that you can be potentially placing these people at risk? If you need to know how, it's quite simple. As we all have seen in recent hours, days, weeks, months, years; not everyone is stable. Some people are mentally unstable, and there may even be a mentally unstable individual looking to plot vengeance, and that person may be reading your article, and look to target one of these people thinking "all gun owners are responsible for what's been happening".

I find it grossly irresponsible to allow innocent people to be exposed to potential danger. Your company is a news outlet, why do this? Is there not enough actual news for you to promote???

I would love to know your response to my comment, please feel free to respond directly to this email, as I have no plans on reading any Gannett Company publication again in the near future.

Respectfully,

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe you are correct on that. It seems to me that that issue was fought out in the legislature last year or early this year and that information was protected.

In the past ten years or so, every change in Florida firearms laws have been to the advantage of the legal firearm user.

14. vincent

vincent New Member

CHL info is public here in NC...

We had the same type list pulished here, and it got some very heated responses as names AND addresses were published...

They backpedaled a bit and took the names and house numbers off of the site, but you can still enter in a desired street and it will tell you how many people on that street have CHL's...

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

dyvsafe, I think you sent the wrong letter.

I’d suggest you send another one thanking the paper for providing you and your fellow miscreants with a map & list, by exclusion, of which homes do NOT have (legal) handguns, making them a much safer place for breaking & entering. And that you are most appreciative of this service to our criminal community.

Signed,
    An alleged perpetrator

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Actually, it is probably everyone who doesn't own a gun who is now in greater danger. The newspaper published a list of every place that is protected. Now it's very simple for criminals to identify where they will face no opposition.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

yadda yadda yadda... think alike

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

More like a who's home to NOT invade map.

Sheesh!

19. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

I worked for a chain of newspapers in SWFL from 1987-2001, they were going to post a listing of all the CWP people in the state, I got on the net and put out a call for help to stop it, imagine my surprise when I was listening to Ollie North on a talk radio station and he called the editor of my newspaper and backed the editor into a corner. Suddenly the idea was scrapped! :D