foregrip bipod legality

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kiabe1, Aug 22, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I have a foregrip bipod and i was wondering if its legal to put on my handgun
    Heres a picture of the bipod for reference

ForumRunner_20130822_150453.jpg

ForumRunner_20130822_150516.jpg

Thx

2. orangello

orangello New Member

It is my understanding that a forward vertical grip is not allowed on a handgun, like a stock isn't.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/041006-openletter-nfa-adding-vertical-fore-grip.html

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gello is absolutely correct. Add that to a handgun WITHOUT first doing the paperwork for an NFA firearm, you just committed a Federal felony good for 10 yrs and a $10,000 fine. No, Really.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

You would have to find one that was NOT vertical, and NOT designed as a fore grip. If you want a bipod, then a bipod is the way to go.

A Harris style bi-pod is not a fore grip, it is not designed to be a fore grip.

Most of those vert fore grips are poor bipods, in my opinion.

5. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Ah well thx for the info

6. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

This type of thing is what really gets me upset. You bought a handgun. You passed the background check. You could have bought a 308 with a 50 power scope with the same check, but you can't put a grippod on a handgun.

A bipod on a handgun is not a tactical advantage. Bring a rifle. A forgrip, ok. Maybe helps. Bring an Uzi.

A pistol with a bipod or forgrip is not a force multiplier.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. hoovco

hoovco New Member

It looks so cool though :/ they have one on call of duty!

8. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Ah well i'll be honest i was asking for the tacticool aspect. In that a foregrip bipod would look kinda cool. Thanks for the info and for keepin me outta trouble

9. orangello

orangello New Member

The people with the Draco & similar AK-type pistols often use a sling attached to the rear of the "pistol" and hold the pistol out to taught the sling for added stability, like a stock in reverse.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My understanding is the Magpul AFG is not considered a fore grip . You could always go that route

11. orangello

orangello New Member

How much rail does that need?

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

no more than the one he has pictured, I think 3" but if you needed lesser you could always cut the front end of it off

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  13. mdauben

mdauben New Member

The whole NFA burns me. It's one of the most stupid and ineffective laws I know of. The idea that the sorts of things it regulates (SBRs, SBSs, "wallet" guns, etc.) are somehow too dangerous for normal civilians to own without special government approval, as opposed to other "normal" types of firearms, is laughable.