Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by fupuk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with this vehicle? Im looking at getting one and ive been trying to read up on it. But there is nothing better than firsthand. Pros, cons, average MpG? Thanks everyone.

2. Retaks

Retaks New Member

Ive been lookin for one for over a year now. If its in decent shape and not too many miles get it. The 7.3 was the best diesel Ford ever had.

3. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

I have owned 2, they are great trucks both were lifted with 35" tires got between 14-17 mpg with banks pda programmers. Sold one with 190k miles other was totalled out at 285k miles now I have a f250 with 7.3 best motor around.

4. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I had a quad cab with the 7.3 it was a beast. I got 20 with it on the highway. You would get a little better with an Excursion. With the 7.3 I would try to find one with under 300,000 miles.

One of the problems if you get into diesels is the motor is fine but everything else on the truck is trash. If you get a low milage one expect to pay a premium.
    I don't know if older is something that interest you but you can get an '80 Bronco with the 6.9 NON-turbo & it might run 1 million miles if you treat it good. (get neck brace).

Just as a side note I had an '85 ford Taurus with a 5 spd Mitsubishi diesel, I averaged 56 miles to the mpg. it had well over 600,000 miles. Hi mileage cars are much cheaper & easyier to work on than a 1 ton truck.

5. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

You will definetly not get better mpg with an excursion than a pickup... If you got 20 mpg with a crew cab 7.3 thats pretty amazing I dont know anyone with a ford 7.3 that gets that. The dodge 5.9 diesel 2002.5-2006? Can get more then 20. But a ford not likely, dont get me wrong I love them but they just dont get more than 17-18 for good hwy mpg

6. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

The 7.3 is a great mill, very loud but will go the distance. The 6.0 was either or, you got a good one or a bad one. By now most of the faulty ones have been weeded out and replaced. The new 6.7 is great when they are running good and a real powerhouse.

7. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I hear ya, my brother had a quad cab identical ad mine. He got 17 loaded or empty. I've always gotten a little better than average.

The Cummings gets better fuel milage but I never really warmed up to it. Honestly, it was probably cause it was a dodge. I had a wheel come of while I was Hauling a car behind me on dolly wheels. Never bought a Dodge after that.

You ever have a diesel in a car?

8. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I hated how loud the 7.3 were. I don't really know to much about the 6.0 personally but I heard there more like the Cummings & had some reliability issues.

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I don't have a ton of hands on, been to Ford school for them but never get to work on them. I have been at a ford dealer for 15yrs but we have a seperate truck shop for anythng larger than a 150. Done a few things on them at home but not too much. I hear a lot of truck shop guys crying about them and the 6.4 though, but being at a dealer we see all the broken ones lol

10. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

thats all I own I drive 40 miles each way to work I have 2009 jetta tdi get about 45mpg (hwy) in that, great little car.

11. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Lol, I had a buddy find a late model Jetta. He said he felt like he won the lottery.

12. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Yeah I was reluctant to buy it but the wife said I needed a good mpg car with how much I drive. I bought it new un june of 09 and already have 74k miles on it...

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im looking for a family vehicle that will fit all my kids. From what ive read and heard the 7.3L was the best motor you can get in the excursion. And most of the ones ive seen online for sale have around 120xxx miles and they are going for $8-11,000 depending. Im in no rush to buy one, its gonna be a few months, but i want to start looking now and find the best deal i can. Even the gas mileage your talking is as good as my durango. But ive always wanted a diesel pickup but ive got to many kids and they wont fit in a pickup.. Im looking for one with a front bench seat, but no luck yet. Do any of you know common problems with them? Thanks.

14. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

I have never had any problem with any of my 7.3s change the oil every 6k fuel filter when needed and thats it, I had a turbo (boot seal?) Go out on one with 190k on it and a couple starters but thats it. I work on cars/and trucks everyday and regularly see them 300-400k miles and still run fine

15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Have you driven an excursion ? They are huge, for a daily driver no effin way IMO They ride like a small bus and its almost impossible to park them in a regular lot with the size of spaces today. If you want one to take trips and go with the family on the weekend then they are great. But to have one for a regular daily driver would be miserable.

As far as the 7.3, about all you will run into on avg is cam sensor, valve cover gaskets ( glow plug harness routes through them ) FICMs go bad but can be rebuilt. For the most part are bulletproof as long as you dont run the oil to long and change your f/f regularly.

AS far as the excursion itself, typical ball joints and drag link. Front axle u joints are a common weak point, as are the trunion bearings inside the front hub, front shaft support seal/bushing and 4X4 hubs. The rest of the driveline in those are pretty solid.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Had a 99 F-250 with a 7.3. Great truck (ex-wife has it). 20 mpg empty, 17 or so pulling a 28 ft gooseneck horse trailer w/4 horses and tack. Glow plugs took a dump at 80K, but otherwise ZERO problems.

17. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im not worried about the size, before i bought my durango i drove a ram 2500 extended cab with an eight foot box. And that was my daily driver. But 9mpg wasnt cutting it so i bought my durango. Now my kids are a little older and have a new baby comeing in september. So a bigger vehicle is needed for my family.

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Somebody tell me wtf a CUMMINGS diesel comes in?

I've had two Freighliner delivery vans with 24v CUMMINS diesels. Better fuel mileage than the powersmokers and the Navistars.

Better off the line and up to speed as well.

The first was a 99 with a a Spicer 5spd. Kept having to replace injection pumps and fuel pumps, then the Turbo ate **** and engine spun a bearing at 260k.

The second was a 2004 with an Allison 6spd auto. It was a beast. No problems .

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dodge is the standard consumer vehicle that uses exclusively Cummins engines. Others use it in some special application vehicles.

20. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Somebody tell me wtf a CUMMINGS diesel comes in?

I've had two Freighliner delivery vans with 24v CUMMINS diesels. Better fuel mileage than the powersmokers and the Navistars.

Better off the line and up to speed as well.

The first was a 99 with a a Spicer 5spd. Kept having to replace injection pumps and fuel pumps, then the Turbo ate **** and engine spun a bearing at 260k.

The second was a 2004 with an Allison 6spd auto. It was a beast. No problems .