For those of us that carry .380 acp. sometimes

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by eatmydust, Jan 30, 2014.

1. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

One of the CC guns I carry is an I.O. Hellcat II, in .380 acp. I generally carry it in hot weather when clothing is less of an obstacle for the bullet. I usually alternate JHP - FMJ in my mags. Since I do not do my own gel/obstacle testing, I am reliant on vids., etc. for my info.

Here is the best compilation of .380 acp. ammo testing I have seen. Looks like the Horady XTP bullet is the big winner.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I never use any hollow points in a 380. During the North Hollywood bank robbery a FBI agent had a perfect shot to take out on of the robbers before they left the bank. The agent shot the robber in the shoulder where he had no body armor. The 380 HP bullet hit the bone in his arm and stopped. In the performance report the FBI concluded that if the agent on the scene had loaded his 380 with FMJ ammo he would have taken out one of the robbers with the first point blank range shot.

No matter what type of ammo one chooses to use small 380's such as the LCP, P 3AT, and IO hellcat are going to generate about 200 ft lb of energy at the muzzle. You have to use a full sized pistol like the bersa thunder to get more velocity from any 380 ammo.

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

I wonder what distance that N. Hollywood shot was taken from? I agree you need something that isn't toy sized like a Bersa Thunder, CZ 380, Walther etc. and I think you need to be inside 50 ft to boot for .380s to be effective.

I smell another caliber debate starting :rolleyes:

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It was virtually point blank range. If you google the North Hollywood Bank Robbery, you will find the bank photo of the officer shooting the robber at the bank. He walked right up to the robber and shot him. I suspect that is why the officer chose the 380, he didn't want the robber to see he was armed until it was to late.

6. chloeshooter

I wonder if 9mm or even a .45 would have stopped those guys with one shot really. they were some hopped-up, determined dudes!

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A larger pistol likely would not have stopped him instantly. But even if the officer had used FMJ ammo in 5 minutes or so his blood pressure would have been to low to carry on the fight. Instead the two robbers shot up half of LA.

8. chloeshooter

so you are saying the FMJ would have penetrated thru the bone? if so I see your point. if not, I would think the hollow points would cause more bleeding. but I am not ballistics expert

9. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

here ya go...this looks like a good choice from Buffalo Bore

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.) Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  10. chloeshooter

I have some of that stuff. It has a little zip to it that's for sure!

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

they wouldnt have had a lot of internal bleeding which cant sustain aggressive action for long.

fmj in pistols are very good at bone penetration and would have caused more internal bleeding including a fractured bone in the arm making further hostile actions muuuuch harder.

a hp in a 45 or 9mm would have caused more bleeding than a fmj in those rounds but that doesnt apply to 380 32 25 etc. they lack the mass and speed to achieve internal organ depth through human bone and muscle.

surface hits which may look really bad do relatively little bleeding. you need a hole through and through to get the leak going in a rpaid enough manner to make a real diff.

im sure you have seen the rip round... its a perfect example of something that is going to cause horrific surface wounds but have nearly zero ability to bring a goblin to heal in short order. same thing with hp in a 380 or less.

12. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

haha...I used to carry this in my P3AT and it was a handful for sure!

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

These are double tap ballistics. You can see the difference that barrel length makes in the performance of your choice of 380 acp ammo.

Velocity: 975fps / Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP
    3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder - 1085fps
    Bullet: Full Metal Jacket

Muzzle Energy: 201 ft. lbs. Kel-Tec
    248 ft. lbs. 3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Velocity: 975fps / Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP
    3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder - 1080fps
    Bullet: 95gr Controlled Expansion JHP

Muzzle Energy: 200 ft. lbs. Kel-Tec
    246 ft. lbs. 3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder

14. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the video.

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I was surprised at the winners circle. I personally wouldn't carry a 380 but it's good to know there are rounds that work.

16. chloeshooter

I find it interesting the guys that would not carry a .380 but they get them for their wives/girlfriends. I have seen a few of those on here. If anything, I'd have the Missus go big cause I place a very high value on her life

I have a nice CZ 83 that is not my first choice but it would probably work in most situations I can think of. Heck, I've seen James Bond take down guys 100 yards with 1 shot, so it has to be a great round - right? :p

Attached Files:

17. TX45

TX45 New Member

I carry the Taurus TCP sometimes when I can't carry the bigger guns and I use the Winchester flat nose that I bought from the local Walmart.

18. indy36

indy36 New Member

I carry a Sig 238 every where I go, every day. It's the one gun I can put on my hip and go about my day and almost not even notice. I carry it cocked and locked, OWB, in a leather holster. It has hollow point bullets in the mag. I'm comfortable with this gun. Most encounters are close and a gun you carry is better than a big one back home.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting video.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

20. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I let my wife pick out her carry weapon. At first she had carried her glock 17, then got a jframe. Now she has a Lc9 and she loves it. I know this won't be her last carry weapon but she likes the Lc9, plus it's purple. So I don't get to carry it and she knows it.