For the wifey

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by lehill66, Feb 25, 2012.

1. lehill66

lehill66 New Member

I finally got my wife to go shooting with me last month:), and to no surprise, she LOVED it and now wants her own gun. So I'm looking for some advice/suggestions in this category.

The use of the gun will be for bedside protection and recreation shooting. (There's no way I'll get her to start carrying…not yet, anyway)The only gun I had with us at the range was my XD 45, and she said that was way too much kick for her. She's a small girl so we need something that doesn't kick TOO much for her, because then all shots after the first will be way off. But being that this will be her home defense weapon, I don’t want to drop her all the way down to a .380. So I’m thinking a 9 mm is her best option. (I thought about a .40 cal, but most 40’s I’ve shot have just as much kick as my XD 45).

So….any suggestions for a good 9mm with minimal kick for the lady?

Oh also, I have to add this in there....the slide needs to be fairly light too. Again, small girl.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. 400ex

400ex New Member

I would go with a 9mm smith & wesson. Or glock

3. Jhamblen

Jhamblen New Member

I just recently got my wife into shooting as well. Took my wife out just as you did. By the time we were done she was addicted. I ended up getting my her the Ruger LC9. It's compact, fits her hand perfectly (my wife is little also), and still gives her the power she needs. Smith and glock would both do great also. My wife did try a glock and the smith m&p 9c. The smith ended up being her top choice but price was a factor for us as well as quality. If you're looking to save a few bills it might be another model to look into. The only down fall I found about it is the serrations on the front of the grip. They are a little aggressive. I looked into a set of Talon Grips. The textured rubber ones are perfect for a soft hand. For only ten bucks you can't go wrong. One more thing to remember, kids. If you have any at a young age that needs to play a part in your decision too. The ruger has a heavy trigger pull and thumb safety. If your kids are young like mine, they might not have the strength to pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't buy the wife her shoes, and I sure won't buy her what other's think is the best firearm for her.
    Take her to the store and let her buy what she wants.

5. Jhamblen

Jhamblen New Member

So let me guess that's what you think I did?

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have her look at several of the 9mm pistols. Also look at 38/357 revolvers. It is her gun let her choose it but make sure she shoots it first. Nice in the hand does not always mean nice at the range. Stay away from muzzle brakes (ported). Can she load a mag and rack a slide? I bought my wife a Ruger SR9c. Came with a 10 and a 17 round mag and a finger extension for the 10. Reasonably priced under $500 and enough weight to keep recoil down.The grips on the Gen 3 Glocks were too big for her. Look at the Ruger LCR in 357. It is a little heavier than the 38 spc so it wont recoil as badly with 38 spl loads and has a great trigger. Since it is not for ccw at the moment you could also look at bigger revolvers or pistols but it means you will have to buy her another if she decides to carry.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm hoping the OP will take the wife to the store.

I have found out that what I think the wife wants, isn't.

8. Jhamblen

Jhamblen New Member

She does need to be the one who has final say on the gun. But you do need to be there to assist and guide her. There are going to be a lot of questions that will have to be answered.

9. lehill66

lehill66 New Member

Thanks for all the info guys.

danf_fl - I started the thread to get some suggestions, that's what these types of forums are for. I didn't plan on reading a reply I liked and buying that on the spot.

That said, we are headed to the range tomorrow and I plan on having her test the Glock 26, SW9, and hopefully a few others they have available. Just saw a S&W Bodyguard 38. Looks like a nice small gun and comes with the laser grips. Nice option. Saves her from having to rack a slide but that gun is double action only. Anyway, we'll see what she likes!

10. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Kahr cw series, Keltec PF9 are great choices.