For the love of a dog.........

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

It's difficult to match, much less beat the loyalty, and trust of a dog.

Dogs Ten Commandments
    1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years - any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me - it is crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment...You have your work, your friends, your entertainment...
    I HAVE ONLY YOU!

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when you're speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll NEVER forget it.

7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hands but I choose NOT to bite YOU.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long or my heart may be getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for ME if you are there. Remember that I love you.

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I just saw that today as I was researching for this thread.

4. winds-of-change

I have never sent a dog for euthanasia without accompanying him or her. And all my children who can at the moment, even though they are grown and out on their own, meet me there.

And I never hit my animals. I scold, I send them to their crate, but I never hit them. Praise and positive reinforcement works so much better for dogs..........and humans.

This post got me a little teary.

5. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you love dogs this movie will bring an ache to your heart! I've held both of my dogs in my arms as they passed and I dread the passing of the little one we have now. This one is really going to hurt! Hopefully it's a few years in the future.

6. winds-of-change

It's the least we could do for our faithful companions for the many years of unconditional love they gave us. I wouldn't leave any other family member alone in the hour of death, why would I do that to my dog? I certainly wouldn't.

7. Jay

Jay New Member

We've been told that we treat our dogs better than some folks treat their kids. Well, our dogs are much more well-behaved than some folks' kids are.....

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I feel your pain Ellis. Your dogs will wait upon your arrival too when that day comes.
    For love is unbroken and transcends all.
    :)

9. fmj

fmj Active Member

Thats a fact!!!!! Hell, our dog is better behaved, has better manners and listens better than our own kids! Not to mention the heathens of others. ;):rolleyes::D

The wife and often say that if we had gotten our Champ first, instead of last, we would have NO kids today! :eek:;):D

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

My last dog got distemper. He picked it up in the shelter before I adopted him. Took him the the shelter's recommended vet, and he couldn't find any thing wrong.

Took him to my grandmother's dog's vet (didn't want to say grandma's vet, sounds weird) and He wanted to keep him for the weekend. The dog was so sick at that point that the vet couldn't tell what was wrong with him at first. He said the symptoms were so advanced that there was no telling what the original problem was.

That monday I went hoping I would be picking him up and taking him home. Turned out that Sunday night he had taken a turn for the worst and his mind had been fried by fever. He had been sitting there trying to bark at the wall all night and Monday morning.

He needed to be put down. I only had that dog for a month. The shelter claimed that they vaccinated him as soon as they picked him up, and I don't believe them. Their vet said afterwards that there was no way he could have distemper because their shelter vaccinated their dogs. 3 months later their dogs started dying off left and right. Come to find out, they were charging the adoptive parents for all these vaccines, but the animals weren't getting any.

To have that dog for a month cost me over 400 dollars in adoption fees, worthless vet visits, and then for his final treatments. Except for the dog dying in the end, it was 400 dollars well spent. His mind was so fried by the fever that the vet said even if he could make him better, he will never be the same. But the dog recognized me when they brought him into the exam room, and let me hold him while he died.

11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, PanBaccha. I believe that, too.

12. jyo

jyo New Member

Dogs ARE man's best friend---don't believe it?---a little test---lock both your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for an hour---when you open the trunk, who will be happy to see you?

13. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

My dog pulls on the leash, when I take him for a walk.

He's like a 25 lb. Freight Train pulling me along, he has to get us somewhere.........then, he must stop at every bush worth peeing on along the way!
    I turn him loose, and it's the same thing.
    He hauls *** out in front of me, waits for me to catch up, and then lags behind me for a little bit. If I go five miles, he goes at least ten.
    I walked a twenty five mile round trip hike into the High Uintas last summer, 3 nights, and he slept between my legs everynight!
    I've grieved over lost dogs before, many that had to be put down. The Chopper dog, I will probably have to do the same with, when his time comes.................until then, we will enjoy what little precious life we have together!
    Here's to you Chopper! It's a puppy pic! When rugs were your worst enemy!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I left my wife and got a divorce and she killed my dog! :mad:

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

this is a very good thread! as i have many dogs, each one is special in their own right. couple came from the shelter, a few were dumped strays that ended up being take in and some were just accidents! our dogs are our children now and we spoil them rotten. i wouldn't take a million dollars for any one of them.:D

16. winds-of-change

seriously??

17. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

yeah man she did! I wish I could of taken him

18. winds-of-change

I'm so sorry.

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Sorry about your loss brother, its never easy losing a good friend. I lost my K9 partner of 3 years back in 2008. Losing him still bothers me to this day