For my wife: Ruger SR22 vs. Sig Mosquito.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by dkleiner, May 18, 2014.

1. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

Hello, all:

My son and I took my wife to the range this past Saturday. She last shot about 30 years ago, and it was a 22 rifle. The booms from other's guns at the indoor range made her flinch a bit, but she got used to it.

For the most part she fired our son's Ruger 22 MK III Target and felt quite at ease with it. She was startled by my CZ 75BD. She is definitely not ready for a 9mm weapon (let alone the Colt Gold Cup National Match that I picked up this morning!).

I want to keep her interested and hope that she can grow into this hobby. My thought is, let's start with a 22 semi-automatic and after a few months, well see where her interest level is. Maybe she'll want to move up in caliber.

Now, of course, it has to be feminine. So, I came up with the SR22 which is lavender(purple) and the Mosquito which is pink. She is partial to the color of the Mosquito. I would think that they are both quality guns.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Dan

2. MrGlock45

MrGlock45 New Member

I can only speak from my own personal experience with both of these weapons.
    I bought a NIB Sig Mosquito, thinking that with Sig's excellent rep, I would be getting a great gun. Fit and finish of it was excellent. Unfortunately, it comes with only 1 mag and after 500 rounds, I still couldn't get through a single mag without either a failure to feed, or failure to extract. I used 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mags, as per Sig's recommendation, but it still wouldn't get through a single mag.
    In June of 2012 I picked up a NIB Ruger SR 22 for my daughters to shoot. I was so impressed with the little Ruger that in the following June, I picked one up for myself. They come with 2 mags, and both of these SR 22's feed everything, flawlessly. No failure to feed, no failure to extract, and no failure to fire any ammo.
    The one my daughters use, feeds Rem Golden bulk, and Fed bulk pack without a hitch. Mine loves CCI Mini Mags, Rem Yellow Jackets and CCI Stingers and Velocitors without a bobble.
    I really had high hopes for the Sig Mosquito, as it feels like center fire, but it just wasn't to be so.
    Do yourself and your wife a favor and pick her up the SR 22, you will not be sorry.

As always, stay safe.

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Not for nothing if she was comfortable with the mark 3 why not keep her on that platform till she is ready to go look for herself.

My wife loves her 22/45 lite, even more so because I had no input on the purchase. Brought her to the LGS introduced her to the folks an said I'm going in the range. She came in and out of the range 4 or 5 times trying different pistols. Then she came in with a smile in her face and a brick of ammo. She didn't leave the range for an hour.

4. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

I will show her the 22/45. As for the Sig, I am hearing bad things about from other sources, as well.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my suggestion. let her pick what she likes, if this is for her.

simply put, would you pick out shoes or a purse for your wife?

i know i wouldn't.

the less input into this choice the better IMO. find a good gun store with a woman salesman that is knowledgeable about guns, set your wife up with her and let them find something that is right for your wife.

whatever her choice, even if you totally hate it, support her decision and keep your comments neutral if you do hate it. her choice in guns may even suprise you.

if you take my advice, i will save you the cost of marriage counselor!

6. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

If it HAS to be between the Sig and the Ruger, then definitely go with the Ruger. Seen, heard, read and experienced not so good things with the Mosquito. Never had an issue with ANY of my Rugers. Good luck and happy shooting.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I'd tend to lean the same way, but a few folks have gotten lucky with their Sig 22's. The SR is a good gun to practice mag changes with, and to get used to the Grip of the larger Ruger Polymer guns. If your going to get competitive and shoot a 22 in different matches, you want a gun with a longer barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

The SR22 has been ordered.

Thanks to all for your input.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you'll like it. i own one, and have shot my friends sig.. mine will shoot all ammo, his has to be CCI mini mags. doenst like any other kind of ammo. an dhe had to buy his 2nd mag extra. the ruger came with 2.

10. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

SR22 is my choice

11. Jpohl

Jpohl New Member

I bought my lady the purple Ruger SR-22 and she absolutely loves it. Works great with any type of ammo. I was so impressed I added one to my collection (not in purple). They've been awesome little plinkers. Hope she enjoys her new toy.

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Good Job on that!...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. jmborge

jmborge New Member

Buy the Ruger SR22. You have to use high velocity ammunition with the Sig. The Ruger SR22 shoots anything.

14. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

It'll be here Friday. I also bought her a range bag, eyeglasses and ear protection.

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

the SR22 is a very solid little shooter. Had one for a while and I'm just not a .22 pistol shooter, but, as far as 22s go, I think this is your best value for a fun gun / trigger trainer

16. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

The SR22 should be the better choice in this instance. The Mosquito can be finicky, if one isn't accustomed to maintaining a firearm. I've had several over the years (and still have my first 'Sport' version). Initially I experienced all the bad things Mosquitoes are accused of (FTF, FTE, etc.). Fortunately I found the Sig Forum and all the posts/tips/tricks assembled by Mississippi Dave. Basically it boils down to "keep it clean and shoot it 'wet' (meaning well lubricated)." All my problems disappeared. I've put several through the regime I followed and the results were the same. I have at least a dozen .22LR handguns and the wife prefers the Sig. Mine shoots virtually anything I put through it (just use the right spring). Yes, my Rugers, MkII 22/45 and MkIII Hunter, are more accurate and work flawlessly but the Skeeter is the 'plinker' of choice in our household. I know several with the SR22 and they love 'em. I'd be tempted to add one to the battery but I'm presently coveting one of the dedicated .22LR 1911s, like the GSG, so I'll just continue saving up for that.