For indoor/outdoor target, which .22 lr, .22 magnum or .222 rifle best? donot reload. Used to shoot

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by Hunteracee, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hunteracee

Hunteracee New Member

Best for indoor/outdoor target? .22lr, .22 magnum or .223 rifles. Do not reload. Used to shoot. Other bore? .222, .221?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

if you don't reload, it's hard to beat the rim-fires, but if you do, i'd suggest the 223.

Imurhuckleberry likes this.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Price has a LOT to do with it, to get GOOD you have to do a lot of shooting, hands down .22 Long Rifle for honing your skills, air is even cheaper !..................

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the distance to your target, among MANY other things.

I shoot a lot of .22 LR, and some are very good to 50 yards. However, beyond 65-70 yards, most .22 LR drops back into subsonic speeds, which gives the bullet a bit of wobble- and drop increases sharply beyond that point. Winchester and Remington both made great .22 rimfire target rifles. Likewise the European makers- Anschutz and CZ. The 10-22 can be made into a very good target rifle by replacing everything but the buttplate. I have a couple of older Mossberg rifles that will give just about anything a run for the money, including a Mossberg 144 LSB with a 24 X scope.

If you want to go for 300 yards and up, look at .223 centerfire, the .204, 22-250 or my favorite, the venerable .220 Swift.

However, there IS a middle ground- take a hard look at the Savage 93 heavy barrel rifles in .17 HMR. Rimfire, so reloading is a moot point. FAST little spitzer bullets that stay supersonic, have much less drop, and ammo is reasonable (around $14/ 50 rounds) I have one that will group 5 rounds into a quarter inch at 100 yards IF the wind cooperates. 17 grain bullets get pushed around really easy.

If you stay indoors, and stay at 10 meters, you can also look at some of the really good air rifles. The match grade guns can put 5 pellets in one hole at that distance.

Attached Files:

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Hunteracee

Hunteracee New Member

I must thank you all for the input which gives me much to think about!
    Being old school I have to have a nice wooden stock, an old type weapon-like the Anschutz .22 Magnum, with a hair trigger - I used to own in the 80's!
    Except in a Semi Auto! An Anschutz I just cannot afford - so was looking at the CZ 512, till I read one discouraging report about the trigger and its action! Someone described it as scraping down on rough dry wall compound! All other reports were glowing! Also thought I read one could get a kit to rectify the trigger? Do not know!
    Anyone own or familiar with the CZ family?

6. Hunteracee

Hunteracee New Member

I must thank you all for the input which gives me much to think about!
    Being old school I have to have a nice wooden stock, an old type weapon-like the Anschutz .22 Magnum, with a hair trigger - I used to own in the 80's!
    Except in a Semi Auto! An Anschutz I just cannot afford - so was looking at the CZ 512, till I read one discouraging report about the trigger and its action! Someone described it as scraping down on rough dry wall compound! All other reports were glowing! Also thought I read one could get a kit to rectify the trigger? Do not know!
    Anyone own or familiar with the CZ family?

Hunteracee

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. Prada

Prada New Member

For outdoor shooting i've use my savage .22lr rifle, it's a fine shooting rifle. In generally, most bolt-action .22's will out shoot a stock 10/22 carbine.
    Another thing to keep in mind is ammo. Most suggest trying a number of different circles to see which your rifle likes best. My advice would be to buy a case of the same amount after you find it.

8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

actually the Ruger 10/22 can be pretty danged accurate with some minor modifications and finding an ammo it likes. with some major modifications like a new barrel and new high quality trigger, they would hold their own with any bolt action rim-fire rifle.

one nice thing about the 22 rim-fire rifles, are they can sometimes even be used at indoor ranges as well.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Online rimfire ammo prices have come down a lot. I am seeing 22lr as low as 5 cents a round. 22 Mag and 17 HMR are running $10/50. If you want a semi auto you might look at the new Savage A series but there wont be wood. Savage B series bolt action gets you into wood. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B17G http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B22G
    Nikon has a good line of rimfire scopes that are reasonable.
    Boyds makes laminate wood replacement stocks.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Another thought. 223/5.56x45 is the cheapest center fire non steel round. 30 cents is the going price on line for brass but I have seen some specials below that. Steel is cheaper but most if not all indoor ranges will not let you shoot steel ammo and check with magnets. Stay away from the 62 grain penetraters/green tip for indoors. Some dont have the green tip.
    AR's are really cheap right now and usually accurate.

SRK97 and Dallas53 like this.