Food storage idea

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Caoimhin, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

I hope you can give me some feed back on my storage plan. I have been stocking up at Wal-Mart slowly. And we are starting to can our own meat based products like pulled pork, taco meat, chile, etc. We have a large pantry but it is starting to fill up. I have 10 large 40x30x32 Styrofoam coolers with lids. Each one will hold most of a field dressed elk. I can store a lot of bags, cans, jars and boxes of food in them. Very thick walls. They ship insulin in them to big pharmacy centers out west. Mine had been out side in the 90 deg heat for a week and the blue ice packs were still cold and slushy. My question with these taped shut will they provide a good storage environment in a not too hot or cold garage? I also have 7 five gallon buckets with screw on lid that corn starch comes in to make fake pills for drug trials. They seal real good and tight. Will these be good for flour and corn meal type products? Thanks for any advice or comments.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Your five gallon buckets should be fine since they are "food grade" I'm not sure about the lids. There are some excellent lids out there that I've found for about $7.00 - $8.00 each.

I don't know about your styrofoam coolers.

If you are canning meats, I hope you are using a pressure cooker. A hot water bath canner will not do the job.

It sounds like you've given this some serious thought. Keep it up. :cool:

3. Seven

Seven New Member

Should. It really depends on the temp in the garage not the container IMO. Sooner or later the inside of any container is gonna reach it's surroundings.

4. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Salt the hell out of all the meat and it'll last forever. If you keep foods in a barrel of water, thats airtight too.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Exactly right. If you want to use the coolers as storage boxes, knock yourself out. But you have to preserve the stuff you keep in them first. There's no way meat or other food that isn't canned or otherwise preserved will keep over time. If the coolers block light, so much the better. (If they don't spray paint them - it may not be perfect, but it's better than nothing.)

6. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

These are big Thick coolers. You can stand 2, 300lb men on the lid and it holds just fine. No light will enter either. I am hoping they will act as mini root cellars, giving me a good storage environment. I do plan on pressure canning the meat. We are 6000 ft so I need a 15 lb weight. hope to pick it up in Albuquerque this coming weekend. The buckets came with the screw on lids with big rubber seals and gear locks. My Mom just used pickle buckets and bay leaves to store stuff. Now I hear the bay leaves don't help. We camp a lot and I am really good in cooking over a fire so we plan to eat real food. I did get 2 cases of MREs with heaters in case we get to busy to cook. But I think we will be fine. How do we store cheese for the long term? I'll miss it the most.

7. santosutd

santosutd New Member

I am here searching for the Food storage places for 2 days. The places which provide me self storage in baltimore and with a reasonable prices and high quality. It should be for long term and short term also. Actually I am shifting my shop to Baltimore and it took at least 2 day. So please tell me any food storage place. Thanks.

self storage in baltimore

8. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

This is the BEST video on youtube to watch.

Get your self some Mylar bags to store your beans, rice, wheat, etc

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZkiU1fUtsE]‪Tutorial: Long-term food storage in mylar bags and food grade buckets‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

9. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

I have a far out question.

I hear of these underground cellars. How cold does an underground cellar get? Can you store food? How deep down does it have to be to store food? etc etc?

What are some other ways to store meat besides smoking it or dehydrating it?

10. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

If I remember correctly the temperature of the earth below the frost line is around 62-65 degrees F, i.e. inside a cave or cellar. You can store food in one, country folks still call them "root cellars". You can can meats, as others have said just make sure to use a pressure cooker (and find out how long the given meat needs to cook and at what temp.) and salt the fool out of it. There's always freeze drying too, if you're set up to do it.

11. chrstian_indy

chrstian_indy New Member

What makes a preasure cooker preserve the meat?

And what is freeze drying?

12. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

The pressure cooker doesn't preserve the meat, it kills any harmful bacteria present. The article in the link below explains how to safely can meat.

CANNING MEAT THE RIGHT WAY

Freeze drying flash freezes a foods instantly removing all moisture. Freeze dried foods kept in vacuum sealed mylar bags can last as long as 7 years, you'll see several companies offering freeze dried foods advertised on this site. Although it may be possible to purchase the necessary equipment to freeze dry food products I don't know anyone who does.

13. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

update

Today before 1200 noon east. If you log on to facebook and go to the Foodsaver page and like them you will help all of us get up to a %75 discount on a food saver machine. My foam chests are holding the temps steady in this heat. Seems to be working well. Of course it is dark in the box also. I have added my extra medicines to the box now for better long term storage.

14. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a rental property that has gotten run down from the last two deadbeats who were there. I am thinking of tearing it down and building a storage facility. I have been kicking around the idea of building 4'x8' underground vaults to be marketed as cellars as part of the design. There isn't any type of climate controlled storage around here. I'm thinking that this could be a good way for preppers as well as gardeners who don't have a cellar to store their cans/jars/buckets. What do you all think?

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They are probably oxygen permeable. Meaning that while the bucket is good, inside a sealed plastic bag in the bucket is better and a non oxygen permeable container would be best.

I've stored grain in 5 gallon Home depot buckets for over a year with no issues. I've heard of people storing grain in them for over 3 years without to many problems. The grain does tend to lose it's flavor and aroma though. This is uncracked whole grain, I don't know how flour would be different.

16. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

I want to get Mylar bags and O2 removers. Any recommendations as to who to purchase these from. My wife has advised me that food saver reached it's 20K likes and she is waiting on the %75 off coupon code. I will soon have a food saver. I have been using a shop vacuum with a piece of 1/4 plastic tube taped in the crevice tool attachment. It will suck 2 pillows down flat as a pancake, using just a trash bag.