food shortages coming!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Pasquanel, Apr 28, 2020.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My Grandparents were straight off the boat from Soviet Georgia. As a result, my Father ate the weirdest things. Chicken feet, pigs feet, head cheese, chicken and turkey butts. His parents were very poor and stuck to their habits from “the old country”.

sheriffjohn and towboater like this.
  2. winds-of-change

I work night shift. I’d rather go hungry than eat canned tamales or canned Vienna sausages. Most often I’ll bring a lunch. Leftovers, a sandwich, tuna and crackers or pick up fast food on the way in.
    In my broke days, my kids and I ate a lot of Kraft Mac n cheese, hot dogs, home made tacos, home made chili, chicken soup, chicken n dumplings, frozen pizza. We were never hungry.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Ghost1958 and sheriffjohn like this.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Many times, many times! muttley.gif

4. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I've worked nights for probably the last 10 years and I generally just bring a lunch.

My wife has hypertension so we really have to limit the salt in our diet so we almost never eat out.

Even before the pandemic I I think we've only eaten out once this year.

Ghost1958 and towboater like this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

isn't your wife taking meds for high blood pressure? I have high BP and take lisinopril, so not too concerned with salt intake

6. winds-of-change

Even in meds, you should watch your salt intake.

7. Trunk Monkey

You do you

Ghost1958 likes this.
  8. Trunk Monkey

Even without HBP you should watch your salt intake.

winds-of-change and Oldoutlaw like this.
  9. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

gee, sorry:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Ramen noodles take me back to college days, probably one of the unhealthiest choices but at 18 cents apiece, they'll keep you going. We were often the only officer on after 2:00 AM when the troopers went home for the whole county outside Jefferson City and expected to "stay on the road" unless called in or booking someone we'd had to arrest. Once at the jail, we could raid the kitchen, fill up the Thermos, etc. With four prisons, we had many manhunts which sometimes went on for days. At least the prisons sent around fried egg and bologna sandwiches, Kool-aid, and chicory coffee for those on stationary posts. "King" my first K-9 German Shepherd could eat four egg sandwiches in nothing flat but gassed up so bad you had to keep the windows open.

OLD Ron, ellis36, towboater and 2 others like this.
  11. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

We were at Aldi today. Plenty of food in stock. And fair meat prices. We bought boneless skinless chicken breast. 1.89 a lb. And asorted pork chops for 2.49 a lb. The 93% lean burger was 4.77 a lb. I didn't buy any. I don't eat a lot of beef on account of my heart.

towboater likes this.
  12. sheriffjohn

Obviiously, things are different depending upon where you live. Sam's Club ground beef this morning - over $10 per pound, $4 at Amish butcher shop. Local Hog farmer delivered 60 hogs to local butcher shop,said "Here, these are free. Do what you want with them." Can't afford to keep feeding them. Another with over 1,000 hogs will give you one if you'll come pick it up. Killing them is about to start, into a big pit (not bar-b-que pit).

Now, assuming say 600 pounds of meat from a cow, at $10 a pound, someone between the farmer's sale price of $.90 to $1.02 has changed the price to perhaps $6,000 for that cow.
    Granted, there are costs between the farmer and the consumer, but still .....price gouging perhaps ?

13. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Packers were netting about $600/head at the start of April. We net about 35% more selling halves and quarters of beef over selling on the hoof.

towboater and sheriffjohn like this.
  14. sheriffjohn

Being basically ignorant on most of this, where are the large mark-ups coming from ? Yesterday our farmer was quoted $.88 on older cows up to $1.42 for calves. He didn't sell any.

towboater likes this.
  15. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

The suppliers of the grocery stores.
    All grocers have a national supplier

Hyde Park or one of a hundred others.

They set the price on all goods thr grocer orders. A SRP . The grocer can choose to charge less. Or more.

Except for occasional sales on something other will always be as much as the suggested price and usually more.

Especially if the grocer can gouge and get away with it.
    Same with gas.

OLD Ron and sheriffjohn like this.
  16. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Those prices would be near the top end of the local sale barn prices, I think they will pick up a little more over the next few weeks. Hogs are still 15 to 25 cents per pound. With a small number of owners of packing plants and wholesalers there is not much for completion in the large volume trade.

towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.
  17. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Well now the food shortage has gotten critical: i can't find Leinenkugel's Original anywhere in town! :eek: All the liquor stores have been sold out of it for about a week. My wife works at one of them & her boss told her the distributor can't get any becuase Leinie's trucks haven't been delivering. Oddly enough, the stores are running out of Miller products too. Must not be any beer leaving Wisconsin right now.

Guess i'll switch to Hamm's for awhile.

winds-of-change and towboater like this.
  18. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

You gotta be kidding. If that is the case, you got some beer distributors or store owners not ordering when they should.

towboater likes this.