food shortages coming!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Pasquanel, Apr 28, 2020.

1. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

you are a loathsome excuse for a human being.
    ha haha.

Pasquanel likes this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sherman, you post some of the strangest things.
    Really! I didn’t even know tamales came in cans. If you can’t get any home made ones, there are good ones in the freezer section of the grocery stores.

Ghost1958 and Gatoragn like this.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

As I recall, I'd not had any tamales until I was in college. First was out of a can. The following summer, a buddy had a few of us over the border for a "day" visit, and we headed to one of the cool, only-locals-know-of-it roadside eateries. It was open-air, and a large family made everything from ancient family recipes. OMG. Tamales, enchiladas, carne asada and a few other items. Piles and piles of food, with a great local beer. It was a revelation. Other than a handful of occasions since, then, 40yrs later, it's been the real deal for me ... or nothing. No comparison, on flavors.

4. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I post things that fit right in there with these hair-brain, paranoid delusional, and wacky tunes post or threads.

well, Passy it's been a month and not a hide nor hair of food riots, "road warrior apocalypse", cannibalism, I went to the grocery store yesterday and you know what I've found? FOOD of all types; meat, chicken, vegetables, fruit, I even found canned tamales [​IMG]

so that slack jaw goofus Shad that you and others regarded as foretelling the death of society said would happen......…...didn't.

so are you going on YOUTUBE and find another slack jaw Cletus foretelling another tid bit of the doom of society that you and others believe will happen? because I need another good laugh [​IMG] or are you still waiting on Y2K to happen???? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Nmwabbit likes this.
  5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Most normal times, my old-time Deputy Sheriff staples are available - Vienna Sausages & canned tamales. Night shift there was nothing open except one filling station. Unlike today, a soda machine, candy bars, and maybe cigarettes. Kept Vienna Sausages and canned tamales in the trunk. Cracked open to pour juice out and placed on the top of the exhaust manifold, they heated up nicely in a few minutes. Soda cooled in front of the radiator if the Thermos of black jail coffee was empty. Night shift.

6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Worse case scenario I have a .22 and a spotlight.

My dad grew up in the 50s, being one of 15 kids sometimes they had to do things to stay fed. If the beagles got on a deer while chasing rabbits it would promptly be shot in the side of the head with a load of #4s

sheriffjohn, towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I can easily survive on corn flakes, raisins, ramen noodles, potatos, rice, canned soup, etc. because i did for years when i had no money.

The people that are broke aren't worried about the meat shortage because stores are out of food they don't buy in first place. It seems to be the ones living more comfortable that are so concerned about not being able to get steaks, roast, & super lean hamburger.

Suck it up, change your diet a bit, & you'll survive. No need to start eating the gophers or sparrows yet.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Only the cheaper cuts of beef, 70/30 burger, round steak, stew meat, etc. has been short by me. No problem getting ribeyes, porterhouses, strips, etc.

Chicken has been a big seller, scarce at times.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  9. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Nothing at all bad about sparrows. Seriously good in a sparrow pie. Also good when you replace beef with them in a stew. Haven't had any for many, many years. But I think I will now collect some sparrows and make a batch in stew again.

10. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

If I wanted steaks roast etc that's 30 steps about as many minutes and a rifle round away.

I cooked alot in the last several months of my wifes illness.

Now that she is gone my diet consists of rarely ramen noodles, occasional can of Jack mackerel and crackers , bologna ,cheese, milk soda pop.
    Dont think I've turned the cook stove on four times since April 4th.

Not worried about food for myself.
    That said the longer gov is allowed to carry on this foolishness the closer we are coming to the people retracting their permission to be governed.

Then things will get ugly . Personally I expect it will just before or just after the next pres election, either way it goes.

11. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

As my grandpa used to say, "sparrows are good eating, it just takes so damn many of them to make a meal." :D

12. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it does. But easy to catch them live.

ellis36 likes this.
  13. Ghost1958

In a pinch , mouses knuckles fry up pretty good.

14. Gatoragn

How about camel toes, ever try one?

formerCav and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I'm having home made Tamales for dinner tonight

winds-of-change and Ghost1958 like this.
  16. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Management's family made chicken foot soup as a treat after butchering chockens, they were a pain to skin but tasty. They had 10 kids. Store-bought bread was considered "cake".
    Brothers, sisters, kids and grandkids all know how to garden, butcher, hunt, fish and forage.
    One brother makes ..uh..distilled liquor, two make wine, beer making eluded them so far. No tax on home-made hootch water and it trades really well for other stuff. Honestly, most of what they make is ...awful. Something to do while quarantined.

winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  17. Ghost1958

Several in my youth. Taste like chicken, if your lucky.:p

18. Gatoragn

Old fellow (Zeke) in GA said he when was a kid, being the youngest, he always got stuck with the foot when his family had fried chicken.

When asked to clarify by foot if he meant a leg, aka drumstick, Zeke said heck no, the "scratchy part".

True story.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  19. Ghost1958

Mouses knuckles and chicken beaks with a side of cricket gravy.

Yum yum

towboater likes this.
  20. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

ya'll need better menus to chose from -- yuck!

Ghost1958 likes this.