Foid...

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Mar 9, 2013.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Ok, fellow Illinoisians; its taking the Illinois State Police forever to send me my FOID card! How long is the average wait now for a renewal? Should I cancel my turkey hunting plans this year?

The thing that scares me is the clause on the FOID application is $10 non refundable. I know I can legally have a FOID, I have a clean record. If for whatever reason would they explain why if I was denied?

The ISP cashed my check 21days ago, lol I know it hasnt been that long it just seems like i've gotten it back quicker in the past. I feel like the ISP is resticting my 2nd ammendment right.

2. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish New Member

I dont remember how long they are supposed to have (I know there is a timeframe ie 30 days or 90 days or something, that they are not supposed to go past) but I also know there is a backlog of something like 70, 000 applications right now. I would just keep waiting. It to my friends girlfriend 3 months to get her FOID

3. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish New Member

You could also try giving the state police a call and see if they can give you an answer. Website says please allow 30 days, here is the # 2177827980

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe there has been a rush to get FOID cards, just like guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. I got my FOID about 3 years ago and it took maybe 3 weeks. I would not cancel your turkey hunt. If you get denied (which I'm pretty sure you won't if what you say is true) they will send a notice you were denied and what you need to do to find out why you were denied.

I'm betting it will come soon.

5. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I know, I just need to be patient. Im just nervious because without a current FOID I am in possession of my fireams illegally.

6. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

If I remember correctly the FOID is supposed to by law get your your foid card within 30 or maybe 60 days of application. I am sure this can be verified. I have spoken with numerous people who have called and cited this fact and in turn their foid got expedited because the ISP is in violation of LAW if they don't get you your FOID in time. DON'T BE PATIENT. It is their responsibility to get you your FOID in a timely manner or they are infringing on your right to bear arms. The FOID in and of its' self is an infringement but that aside if they don't issue it that's a big problem. Call them.

Budget cuts and record number of applicants has the ISP way way behind.

7. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

The turn around time is 30 days. 30 days....
    According to ISRA, 70,000 FOID apps were submitted in February. There is one small office manned by a handful of ISP just south of Springfield. Don't count on your phone call being answered; they consider the ringing background noise. Now, if they were to take some of that FOID money and open a few satellite offices around the state, you might get a quicker processing time, but that would go against everything our politicians hold dear. So yes, they don't follow the law and they don't complete your app within the legal time frame, not much is going to change as long as the FOIS system is intact.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

How did you get to own a firearm before you got the FOID card? I know the laws are not always constitutional but if you get caught breaking those laws, you might just well find yourself in a position to never be able to own a gun again. You are taking a big risk I would not take.

9. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I've had a FOID since I was 16. Never has it taken this long to get my card renewed. I'm not going to give up my guns I already own waiting on my FOID. My arms stay at the house I havent traveled or shot them without some with me that has their FOID.

The thing that is driving me nuts is with all these ppl hoarding ammunition; when I see the rounds I need sitting on the shelf I have to cry a little side bc I cant buy them. I know when I do get my FOID I wont be able to find my ammuntion lol

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

What in the world is a FOID card?

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Firearms Owners ID

12. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

In Illinois you must have a FOID (Firearm Owners ID) to legally own anything firearm related. Be glad you dont live in IL. Its an obvious infringement on the 2nd amendment! Illinois gun laws are terrible.

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

The scary part for me is how easily they accept this premise!

14. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Firearm Owner IDentification

It is an unconstitutional piece of plastic that says you can own a gun. It's is essentially the same background check as NICS, which I have no problem with. However if you forget to renew it, by default, you become a criminal and the politicians are pushing for tougher and tougher punishment if you are in posession of a firearm without a foid. So if you forget to renew your card, or in the case of Smokey the Illinois State Police don't send you your new card they want to make you a felon. Furthermore the laws they are proposing are even more severe in some cases than if you were never to have had a foid at all. That is totally unconstitutional.

Without a FOID an Illinois resident can not buy ammo or buy a firearm in Illinois or the surrounding states. However someone from a surrounding state may come to Illinois to buy a firearm even without a foid. So the politicians in our corrupt state are saying we from Illinois are substandard citizens and can not be trusted.

15. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

A FOID card is an identification card for ILLINOIS residents that permits you to legally by guns and/or ammunition it has annoyed IL. residents since around 1968 or so.

16. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

They cashed my check on Feburary 5!!!Its suppose to be 30 days.I have called them they say it will be 30-60 days more wtf!!!I also have a very clean record.I feel that I am being striped of my rights.As all these idiots are running around on the streets with illegal guns!!Explain how thats right?

17. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

My wife applied for her foid 2 weeks before Thanksgiving 2012 and she received the foid last week of Feb 2013. That is the longest I have ever seen in take...

18. ChanceMcCall

ChanceMcCall New Member

It doesn't help but bear in mind the state is broke. They have less than 5 people working on processing FOID cards and in the last year the application volume has doubled. These same people will also likely be the same ones processing the CC permits in 3 months. My FOID expires in 2019 and I think I will send my renewal in in 2016.

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If the state is broke then they should abolish these agencies and stupid laws altogether. They do nothing to deter crime. This is typical back door infringement, pass a law that requires a permit or license for some activity the state disapproves of but cannot ban, then hire 2 people to handle 300,000 applications. Most people opt out rather than play the game...viola defacto gun ban.

20. George64

George64 New Member

Why is Illinois so broke? FOID card take months? Did you know that if you have Haz Mat on your CDL you have to pay for prints. Add pay for PERC card. Add for FOID card. How can the state be broke when they want $100.00+$50.00+$10.00=$160.00 for finger prints alone. It should not take 57 days for a FOID card especially when your print have already been run before and came back with no record.