foaming bore cleaners

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Twpbaseball10, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

what are the best ones? Im looking to use them for my muzzle loader

2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Soapy water or glass cleaner will get it clean without paying $15 or more a spray can and a whole lot quicker.

3. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

How would you go about cleaning that? I never heard of that. Sounds good though

4. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Just wet a patch and start swabbing. I usually wet one and make one pass up and down the bore then discard it. First pass will be the dirtiest. Wet another and do it again. Wet down a bore brush and make a pass or two if you like. Patch again til they come out clean. Run a dry patch thru it then an oil patch. If you're shooting an in-line with sabots much, odds are you'll get some plastic fouling eventually. You can feel plastic fouling when you are swabbing with your patch. If it's there use a bore brush with a good solvent such as Shooters Choice while brushing. It's about like anything though...you'll hear different ways. Some won't put any petroleum oil in their rifles...that debate has been going on forever. Good luck to you. What rifle are you shooting anyway?

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A sidelock is much easier to clean than an inline. Petroleum based lubes and bp fouling don't mix. It wont hurt anything but makes a simple cleaning job tough. Quigley is right. All you need is soapy water.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

7. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

im shooting a remington genesis. So I guess all I do is put some of the cleaner in the water, clean, then would hoppes oil be good to put in afterwords?

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Not unless you want to do some serious swabbing with alcohol to make sure you get it all out before you shoot it. Balistol is good but any vegetable based lube will work.

9. HAVEGUN

HAVEGUN New Member

Silly question.

Can I use Canola oil we cook with?

I bought a 1860 Army Pietta from Cabelas a few months ago and have yet to shoot it.

Got everything I need, balls, caps, power, wonder wads, flask, power measure, nipple wrench, finally ordered a stand from Dixie Works.

Read mucho, understand the basic principle of safely loading and shooting.

So what is my hold up?

It is difficult to wrap my head around cleaning a gun with hot soapy water.
    Just don't seem right. But my wife will love it.

She finally thru me out of the house when I clean my guns, even the basement is now forbidden. Hoppes is the culprit.

Sorry, I digress.

Glad to read not use petroleum based lubricants as that is just what I would have used.
    I am not sure if I go to the hardware store what to look for as my local gun shops are not into black power.

Hate to sound cheap and easy, but I am, Canola Vegetable Oil?

10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Canola is fine as is olive oil.

11. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I clean all my black powder guns in hot soapy water, I then make sure they are thoroughly dry, and I put a light coat of wonder lube black powder lube on a patch and put a light coat down the barrel, I even wipe them down with it rather than using gun oil. Just what works for me.

Gersty