Foaming Barrel Cleaners?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by BigByrd47119, Aug 2, 2009.

1. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I recently saw a advertisment on the Versus Channel for a barrel cleaner that foams up, rendering no need to brush out the barrel! Of course the comercial talked up the product (which I dont remember the name of) as a break threw in the gun cleaning industry. Iv found several diffrent brands of these types of cleaners with varying prices. I was hoping to hear from some memebers of the forum on if this product is as good as they advertise and if its worth the large price tag that comes with it. Any input is appreciated!

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I have only used the foaming stuff on my muzzleloader. It gets very dirty with Pyrodex residue.

Since it is easy to clean the cased bullet shooters, I don't skimp on time or ease there. I would not trust the foamers to get my semi's as clean as I like them. That is all. Just my opinion, for one.

3. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I have used this on my .30-06 hunting rifle. I tried it as it was a new product (at least new to me). The foam turns blue in the barrel after the "soak" time, indicating (according to the instructions) that residual copper is being chemically cleaned up. Repeat cleanings with the foam may be necessary.

I do believe that the product did remove some copper fouling that conventional light cleaning with a brush and solvent/patches did not remove. Harder work with brushes/patches probably would have done the same job.

Note that cleaning with bronze bore brushes will leave trace copper in the barrel, and so your foam may turn blue even with a completely clean bore!

TXnorton

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I have used a couple of varieties including Outers and they work, however I still used a brush. The reason they say not to use a brush is becvause the cleaner will attack the brush like it attacks the jacket material left in the bore. A better alternative which works just as good if not better, is Sweets 7.62 Solvent. They claim no brushing is needed either - just run a soaked patch through the bore continuously for 1 minute then a dry one, and repeat as needed. The patches come out very blue! I then follow-up with a standard non-copper removing solvent to deactivate the ammonia prior to running an oiled patch.The main ingredient in all of these copper removing cleaners is ammonia. I still use a brush no matter what I use.

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Great! Thanks a lot guys. With all that in mind I think I will be trying some out next pay day :D

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've tried one, can't remember the brand but I was not at all impressed. It left a residue that was EXTREMLY hard to get off, so rather then making things easier it made it harder. Needless to say I'm not a fan, I'll stick to solvents and a bruch. RL mentioned some good solvents.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I like the birchwood casey foaming bore cleaner. I use it and a jag to clean my 308. No brush ever goes in that barrel. No brush on the 22lr either. All others I use the foaming cleaner then push it out with a patch and jag. Then brush it with hoppes #9 coper solvent. Then I go back and patch and jag it again to get everything out. Light coat of oil and put it away.