Fnp-9

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Flint Rock, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

FNH USA is offering up the FNP-9 or the FNP-40 to NRA certified instructors for $375. At that price I'm planning on getting one, even though I've never put a hand on one. Anybody out there have any trigger time with either model?

2. WDB

WDB New Member

I've had a FNP-40 for about four years and as I recall it was a lot more $ than that when I bought it. I did get three mags and night sights, still that seems like a sweet price. I use to CC mine before I bought a S&W M&P 45. Still a favorite to shoot and some time carry. The exchangable back straps help fit it to your hand, the grip angle is like a 1911, the trigger isn't bad in SA or DA IMHO. Mine has a decocker but no safety, not an issue as I see it. Never had an FFT I expect I have over 2k rounds through mine, seems to eat anything I feed it. Biggest issue I had was finding a quality IWB leather holster for it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010

3. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I got my FNP9 in last week under the NRA instructor program that FNH is running. $375 delivered to my local dealer. I took the gun to the range on Saturday for a little shooting. I had planned to give a range report. Well, the gun had other plans.
    The model I got is suppose to be DA/SA, and it was for about the first three mags. After that third mag it became DAO. I guess now I get to see how FNH's customer service is.

4. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Today (7/27), I got my FNP9 back from repair. It took right at one month for the repair (it was delivered to FN on 6/30). The paper work indicates the "Fire Control Housing Assy" was replaced.
    No cost for the shipping either way, no cost for parts or labor. I wish the saga of my Bushmaster read as well!

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

If all goes well I will be able to get some formal trigger time in with the FN on Saturday and I will post a "report" on the gun after that. I put 16 rounds from about 16 different brands and weights into a dead tree this afternoon just to make sure it was fixed. Well, so far so good.
    I really like the size, weight, and feel of the gun. My model has a manual safety that you could use to carry the gun cocked and locked. That's the theory at least. The lever also doubles as a decocker (much like a USP or a Taurus 92). The problem for an old 1911 shooter like myself is, after you sweep the safety off, your thumb just carries the lever on down and decocks the gun. My advice so far, forget about the safety.
    Anyway, more to follow.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

This is the same issue I have with my HK USP .45, and for the same reason.

FN says they will probably be opening their entire product line to the NRA Instructor program. Currently limited to the FNP 9 and .40.

Can't wait to get one of their shotguns and an SPR.

9. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

I've had FNP-9, -9M, and 357. All three were awesome shooters. I'm glad that the customer service proved to be good. Enjoy! :cool:

10. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I managed to slip off to the range yesterday and burn some rounds through my FNP9. I don't count rounds, and I hate to guess, but I'll say north of 400 rounds. Mostly WWB and Georgia Arms (whose quality really seems to be slipping lately), with a lot of other stuff mixed in to see how the gun ran with different bullet lengths and profiles. Let me say up front that there were no mechanical issues. The gun went bang every time I pulled the trigger. On the surface that sounds good, but I have found that most quality guns can do this.
    [​IMG]
    The gun shoots pretty well to point of aim. A little off at 15 yards (the range to the pictured target), but not enough to worry about. A different shooter, different eyes, a different day, who knows, all the rounds could have been perfect in the ten ring. What you can see are 16 rounds of Remington 115 FMJ fired in about a minute. Not rapid fire, but not take all day and try to make it boring perfect either. The Remington load is a good practice load that I enjoy. The softest shooting round was the Magtech 115 FMJ, which is also usually the most accurate load in my guns.
    On the far end from the soft shooting stuff is the Magtech 115 JHP +P+. This load has a sharp snap of recoil. It's "feels" like a .40. The +P+ loads are still managable, but you are giving up one of the 9mm's strengths due to recoil. For me that stength is the ability to fire two rounds as quickly as I can pull the trigger, with one initial sight picture, and have both rounds impact the target within 2 inches of each other. Muzzle flip is the enemy of the 9mm. Bullets in general, 9mm in particular, should go downrange in groups of two!
    Well, back to the gun. As an NRA Instructor I got the gun direct from FNH for $375. If you are an instructor and you need a gun to loan or rent to students, consider it. The grip has a "feel" to it that will lend itself well to small and medium size hands. Racking the slide is easy enough for new shooters and the sights are visible three dot type. The gun has a safety lever that will decock the gun and a traditional double action setup.
    If you are paying retail,,,,,,,,,,, then I would keep looking. The decock is nice, but the safety is suppose to allow you to carry the gun cocked and locked. You could, but when you thumb the safety off you will decock the gun. I could release the safety and not decock the gun, if I was just standing still and focused on the safety. The transitition from safety off to decock is just to short and lite. Worse yet if your thumb stays on the saftey, like it will for many 1911 style shooters, the gun won't fire. It takes very little pressure (if you touch the safety with your thumb, the gun won't fire) on the safety lever to disable the gun.
    I found it best to forget about the safety and not use it, but even that didn't always work. I use a high hand grip to help control recoil and in several drills my thumb came in contact with the safety and shut things down. In a gun fight it could be fatal. The decock function of the gun needs a heavier spring resistance.
    The trigger can best be described as long and heavy in double action mode. Single action mode is just a pull with no feel, kind of like dragging your finger through mashed potatoes! A Beretta 92's long trigger is an improvement on the FNP9.
    If you are willing to spend the retail money an FNP costs, and you want a double action gun, get a factory reconditioned Sig 226. The Sig is an improvement in all regards for about the same money (I have a 226 with the SRT and it is a joy to shoot). If you are an instructor and need a spare inexpensive double action gun for students then consider the FNP, but I would recommend you track down a S&W third generation police trade in or a Ruger P series.
    The FNP9 is entirely servicable, but at it's retail price point you can do better. At $375 I will keep mine........... loaded and tucked away in the barn waiting for the possible day when I need a gun RIGHT NOW.
    [​IMG]

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks for the information. I was curious about them.