FN FNX 9mm

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by IXLR8, Mar 25, 2011.

1. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

I have purchased a few 9mm's over the past few months. Everyone seems to be a favorite, I have been pretty lucky. I tend to skew towards more expensive quality firearms in my purchases.

I purchased the FNX used with 200 rounds through it. By all appearances it it was new. It came with 3 x 19 round magazines, spent bullet case, backstraps, and manual.

The fit and finish are very good, with a flat black color. The grip texture was pleasing to hold, and the additional backstraps were not necessary, since the the fit was excellent already. The takedown is similar to my XDm 9, with a lever that is actuated when the slide is locked back. The disassembly is also similar to the XDm, with the slide, and barrel being readily removable.

The initial loadout of the magazine was stiff, and I was unable to load the final 2 rounds. The problem persisted for several reloads and I attribute it to the new magazine. The magazine spring was very stiff.

At 7 yards I was easily able to hold a 3" group, which is typical for my skill level. Many of the rounds grouped much tighter. The sights were spot on from the factory, something uncommon in my experience. The crisp break on the trigger, and relatively low recoil for a polymer pistol made it very enjoyable to shoot. I used WWB ammo, since it was just a familiarization session. The external hammer did not extend too far and provided a holsterable configuration. A combination safety/decocker is a nice change of pace since very few of my pistols offer it anymore. I shot 100 rounds through it, without any problems. No part of the weapon seemed to hold in heat, and remained cool throughout the exercise.

I would recommend it as an alternative for anyone that likes an XDm, but does not like the grip safety. The trigger is the real standout. It is one of the best I have used without an after-market trigger job.

Try it, you'll like it!

2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Cool beans. I like the new FN family of pistols.

3. Starship

Starship New Member

I have the fnx40 and it is also a fine gun.

They do something with the barrel (not technical enough to explain) that lowers the center of gravity and keeps the recoil very manageable. It comes back into your hand and reduces the flip tendency.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

They do that by keeping the axis of the bore low in the hand, like a Glock.

5. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

One day I am planning on getting a FNP-45 Tactical. 15+1 rounds of 45 is just too tempting.