Fn fnp versus fnx

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jcast, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jcast

jcast New Member

Wondering opinion on these. Is the fnx worth the extra money when it seems the fnp is great? I'm from ny and still waiting for my permit(3 months). Seems all the research makes me want to start with an fn 9mm, just can't decide which. And not like there's a range around to try. Have to buy it on feel alone. Any input I'd appreciate.

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I like my fnp-45,I think the differences are pretty minor,you can get the fnp 9's and 40's for cheap online if you look since fn is stopping production for them and replacing them entirely with the fnx's. Still great guns though,there's a review by nutnfancy on YouTube where he details the differences between the two and what his thoughts are on them. Can't recall the exact review though.

3. colmustard

colmustard New Member

quick question though... can you get the fnx in .45? I never seen one, and I too am thinking a fn pistol is next on the list. Sorry in adviance, not trying to hijack the thread just thought more info can help both of us. :)

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Nope you wont be seeing an fnx-45, I think its due to the relative success of the fnp-45 and its different variations. They make government,tactical,and compitition models of the fnp-45. Also I think the newer fnp-45's are incorporating some of the same changes the fnx 9's and 40's have from the fnp line.

5. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok cool, but will they continue to manufacture the fnp .45 because if I get one I want a .45

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Im sure they will

7. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Cool thats good news, it is def. on the list :)

8. Green_Beret

Green_Beret New Member

FNX-45 link at FNH USA

FNH is making an FNX-45. I own an FNP-45T with RMR sight.

The FNP-45 has been removed from the website. While I think it is only a name change according to the info at the FNH forum, the new FNX-45 magazines are not compatible with the FNP-45 series handgun.

9. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Welp guess I was wrong,I do think its a name only change though... many were complaining about the magazine catch tab onthe fnp-45 magazines being to small,I never had a problem with mine. The size of the tab isn't exactly confidence-inspiring but is sturdy and the mechanism is sound none the less. My guess is that they switched to the fnx style mag catch and decided to go ahead and give it the fnx name as well.

10. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

The fnp-45 has the same design that was given to the fnx9 and 40. The fnx45 is really a rename due to the fact they look like a fnx. The original fnp9 and 40 had smoother grip surfaces and a few other cosmetic differences. I have a fnp9-a fnx9-and a fnp40...I actually like the feel of the fnp better.

11. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok so now it seems they are making a fnx version. Will it stillhave the rplacable steel rails? That is one of the buying points for me, for the increased life of the gun.

12. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

If you look on the fnh site it shows the FNX 45 but the competition model still remains branded as the FNP. I also noticed they are listing compact versions of the 45 but no picture or info yet. That may make for an interesting new add on to my collection.
    I really don't think anything changed just the name. I believe the name of the fnp 45 was confusing newcomers due to the fact it looks like the fnx so they rebranded to make it all in the X family..

Also there are not two different magazines listed on the site for the .45--has fnp.45 only which also makes me believe the gun has not changed just the name.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  13. Green_Beret

Green_Beret New Member

(This was requoted from an FN source at the FN Forum) - The new FNX45 mags will not be interchangeable with the FNP45. The new FNX45 mags should work better with the over SAMMI length rounds.

I spoke with FNH this morning who stated that it is new magazines and a few upgrades, but no noticeble change to the appearance. He would not elaborate on the upgrades.

14. colmustard

colmustard New Member

That is intresting, if there are not many changes to the gun, whay are the mags not intercahngable? Either way, I think one may find a way to my safe this year!:)

15. jcast

jcast New Member

They just want more money out of my pocket. That's why the change mags.

16. colmustard

colmustard New Member

True so true, oh well, so will the fnx also come with a 15 round mag?

17. Green_Beret

Green_Beret New Member

It will have 15 rd mags. There were complaints about the Winchester WWB ammo causing jams. I believe the new mags are a little longer to allow for longer length reloaded ammo. Something to that effect, but don't quote me on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if regardless of all that is said, if the only noticeable difference will be the FNP to FNX name change.

I pray every night for the Remington ACR to be brought to the civilian market sooner than later.