FN five seven thoughts

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Double_tap, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Hey gents just doing some homework before I drop about a grand and was wondering what you guys thought of it and if any one has run into any problems with it. I recently ALMOST bought a Judge public defender but by luck I rented one before buying one and found it to be a huge POS, No offense to any one on here that likes the Judge public defender.

2. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Well lets see, from my POV, well made, expensive hard to find ammo, lots of things that hit harder for half the price, big, expensive, but they are nice guns if you have the spare cash. Just keep in mind they dont dump as much energy due to the projectile size being a .22, the GOOD ammo is around mid 300 lbs of energy. heres all the info you want to know about them. I was looking at them a while ago but wanted something with more "stopping power".

FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion its in the same class as the judge in pistol form. the 5.7x28 is only good if you got the restricted military ammo in a rifle. a fun range toy great for eradicating rabbits and rodents but not a serious sd firearm. yeah it can kill and the muslim terrorist at ft hood used one. but its on par with 22magnum and 22lr for effectiveness.

go for a better gun.

just my opinion others may vary

4. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

How does 5.7 x 28 FN round compare with 9mm,.380 ACP, etc?

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a problem when a pistol has a barrel that resembles electrical conduit.

Save your cash and buy a real gun. For what you'll save, buy two real guns.

6. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

The FN Five Seven was the gun that the major used in the Ft Hood shooting.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My buddy has one and has used it on the ranch for all kinds of animal control. It is very effective. Zero recoil. Crazy accurate.

Ammo here is about $20 per 50, and plentiful.

Not sure if I need one, but really like shooting his.

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

It is on par with a 380 and has less power then a 9 mm but remember it is a .22 so it will dump less energy into a target then a 380 due to less of a surface area and lighter weight. If one has more cash then they know what to do with by all means go for one, but i agree, get a real gun or go get a .22 mag. I try my best ( my AR not included :-D ) to avoid anything NATO like firearm wise as in the past decade or two they are revamping all their ammo to be little tiny funny things.
    Yes they want to replace the 9mm para with the 5.7... as if 9 is not small enough..what happened to the good ole .45?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  9. Korey

Korey New Member

Usually only people I see that really praise the FN are the people that need to be ''different''
    it is sort of a bastard gun, compared to 9mm it's more expensive, less ''stopping power'' and harder to find.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Impractical, expensive, strange looking...and yeah, still pretty cool.

If you live on a ranch or want to do some pistol varminting, it could be a fun choice. As a primary range and self defense firearm there are far more practical options for half the price in my opinion. As to the caliber (the civilian rounds), I'd be really interested in a case study of "real world" defense shootings and ballistics. Without that I'd question actual defense potential given the size...have to imagine it'd be similar to a 17hmr/22wmr. But like the 17hmr, I doubt there's enough documented defensive shootings (w/ civi rds) to support any credible study.

But this much is true- the people I know who own 5.7s do unanomously praise them. I have yet to shoot one though.

11. Korey

Korey New Member

I got to agree with this, they are almost as bad as the glock or 1911 guys

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Fired one that was supressed, round flies way to fast, way to spendy.

13. Wambli

Wambli New Member

My son has one and it's actually his main carry gun. It's a fairly big handgun but at 6'3" 210lb he can pretty much conceal anything he wants.. It is an excedingly accurate, very low recoil. good ergonomics, high quality handgun. The round is actually very good in an urban environment where the issue of overpenetration is very real. As some have said a single round is not very impressive in energy numbers (no standard carry ammo is) but you do carry a boatload of them and accurate follow up shots are ridiculously easy. He is single and makes a good living so I really don't think he looses any sleep over the few dollars a box of ammo cost compared to other handgun ammo.

14. Korey

Korey New Member

But what if the assailant is like 5-10 feet away? Even I can drop 6 rounds of .45 in a 1911 on center mass under stress in that situation. I'm not trying to argue really just exploring every possible situation. I guess the lower recoiling weapon that regroups faster would have a much tighter group but I still don't think getting 5-10 rounds from anything the guy is going to get up and continue.

15. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Being an Old Grey Biker with bad hands due to my ill-spent, but fun:D youth, I now carry a Sig P226 in 9mm, that's 18 in the mag and one in the pipe. If I can't end it with all that, I got way too much trouble......

When my hands were still up to it, I fully believed in LARGE HOLES. I carried a Sig P245 and prior to that a 1911. I still would carry the .45 but my hands no longer tolerate the range time I feel necessary every week.

I agree that enough of 22 cal rounds will stop the BG, but I would prefer just 2 in the chest and 1 in the head if needed, rather than putting in 5 to 10 rounds which could be difficult to explain to the local LEO & judge....JMHO.

You could get a good .45 from one of the better manufacturers and have cash left over for other toys and ammo for the pistol. Good luck and have fun during your shopping. If possible, shoot various pistols at your local range.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It's just a really interesting gun I think, even if impractical.

If you're responsible for patrolling a war zone and need a sidearm (translation: backup) that can be really precise at several dozen yards...the FN might be a great choice. But then you'd also probably have some nastier version of this round at your service.

If you have the desire to do a little varminting with a pistol, this could be an outstanding choice.

If you live on (or spend time on) an expanded plot of land and want a predator/varmint handgun (for animals that don't approach your own weight class), the 5.7 could work...especially if recoil is a concern. So it could be an especially nice women's ranch sidearm.

And if you've got enough discretionary gun funds to afford such a toy just for the heck of it....go for it. I'd probably already have one were I in this boat.

But it wouldn't otherwise be among the first half-dozen handguns I would choose to fill shooting/defensive "needs", even if I do think it's pretty cool. The highest priorities in my mind would be a steel/alloy hi-cap centerfire (BHP, CZ, Beretta, Sig), an eat-anything rimfire, a 357mag revolver, a poly gun that suits your needs, a 1911, a convenient everyday carry if the aforementioned don't already fill that role....you get the point.

17. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Hey thanks gents my brother in law has one and he praised it up and down the whole time I was back home visiting and I honestly havent heard much about it. I saw an article about them in a guns and ammo magazine about a year ago but hell for the money I would drop on it I can pick up two more glocks "love my glocks" thankx again for your imput guys

18. Tyler

Tyler New Member

I personally have an FN Five Seven and absolutely love it. It is such an awesome and accurate gun. The price has gone up quite a bit since I got mine though, and I'm not sure I would pay the asking price now for it. I bought mine for about $800 before they rose the price to over $1000 now. You can get a decent AR for that price. I like the 20 round mags and limited recoil on the five seven. If you find a good deal on one, I definitely recommend that you buy it.

19. Werminator

Werminator Member

My experience with these firearms is somewhat limited but if it were my money on the line I would look for a KelTec PMR30. It is a .22WMR with a 30 round magazine and can probably be had for half the price. In addition, .22WMR is a more afforable and much more available load than the 5.7 chambering. Then you could spend the remaining cash on a nice concealable 9mm or .40 cal with some foot pounds of punch behind em...

20. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I personally carry a 1911 in .45 for SD most of the time but I have to say that in the time it takes me to put 5 accurate shots COM he can probably empty his mag into a fist sized area. The way I look at it anyone tries to mess with him is getting stitched with a mess of those hornets and seeing the balistic gelatin tests I don't think the BG is walking out of that one. He loves the gun and I have no problems with his choice.