FN Five-seveN s 5.7x28mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Nake48, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

I know there are other threads on this subject; but does anyone have one? I want to get get because its mostly polymer, and uses a high velocity round. I have been wanting to try this gun for awhile, but no one has anything at a range I can try out, not in the county I'm in. Excluding the price for now.

2. User Name

User Name New Member

I do not own one but I have shot one. Very nice shooting. Very low recoil. Definatly less than a 9mm recoil. Extremely accurate and high cap mags. Very nice gun, with a very nice price tag. If you have the money go for it.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Fires like a dream and the round come screaming out.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My shooting partner has one and it is fun to shoot. Kills like the Hand of God, too.

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have put a few hundred rounds through one. As stated above, it shoots well and is fun, but to me it's a niche type weapon.

If you have the need to penetrate body armor with a handgun it's great for that purpose. That purpose was the major factor in creating the round and the weapon.

Or if you have the money and just want one, that's a good enough reason also. God knows I have some "impractical" firearms...

6. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

Fortunately, around here there is a store that has a lot of this ammo, and it's rarely if ever sold, which isn't always good. I asked the store owners if they had more in the back, and indeed they do. The ammo is expensive, and so is the price tag for one. I don't own a "just for fun gun" or useless caliber yet, but this is something that caught my eye, typically a "want one" mentality.

7. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

They do seem like a "Niche Gun" to me as well. Same way I look at a Judge. They have a purpose but not everyone had a need for them. I wouldn't own one myself but they do have a place in the market.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It's an intriguing cartridge. I would like to see it gain more acceptance before I jump onboard. Is it going to be a mainstream cartridge or will it be a mere curiosity in a few years?

9. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Seems to me that if any major gun manufacturer produced a smaller, more concealable variation on the FN Herstal Five-seveN... say, like 14 rds. instead of 20... and smaller all-around... THAT gun could cause shock-waves in the Concealed Carry market. C'mon... 14 rds. of low-recoil proven man-stopping power in a small light compact-carry gun... It'd sell like hot-cakes!

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The only complaint I've ever heard about this gun is that some folks claim they simply can't afford to shoot it much. Ammo typically runs 40-60 cents/round. Ammo supplies are plentiful online though.

Very good reviews from the owners otherwise. It has limited uses in an urban environment, but if you lived on a ranch or something it'd make a heck of a varminting pistol.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've been seeing the FN ammo on the shelves. Price has been around $19 per 50. My shooting partner scored a case of it from one of the online places and it worked out to just over $18 per 50, delivered.

That doesn't seem too bad to me. ???

12. User Name

User Name New Member

I get 9mm for 12 bucks for 50 at wally world, and .45 for like $16 (50 rds). So yea thats a bit pricy.

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I don't know what kind of Wal-Mart you're shopping at, but I wish we had one here. The 9mm at my local wal-mart is cheaper at $10 per 50, but the Federal .45 (which they barely ever have), is the cheapest .45 they have and it's 20.99.

-Fred

14. bullpuppies

bullpuppies New Member

+1
    Shoots very nice, but it's just too big. I'd definitely buy one if G19 size or smaller, and less than $700. $0.50 rounds wouldn't be an issue.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No, that's not too bad at all imo.

I felt up a fn 5.7 today. It felt......strange in my hand and like it was made or very light polymer. Me no likey...... :eek:

16. iMagUdspEllr

iMagUdspEllr New Member

I think its a great gun. 20 rounds is very very cool. Plus I believe you can even get 30 round magazines too (pretty insane for a handgun). It is about as lethal as a 9mm and a 9mm is good enough for me. But 50 rounds of 9mm is ~$10 not $20-$25 like the 5.7 ammo. But if money is no object and performance is what is needed. It is hard to beat how little recoil this light-weight gun offers with the huge mag capacity it has.

It will just be expensive to practice with so keep that in mind. If it is your only gun or you are used to shooting .45 ACP (which is expensive too) then you probably won't mind it.

17. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

My main carry is 99% of the time a .45 that uses JHP ammo, and practicing with that ammo is a little expensive but to carry a lightweight gun that can use up 30rounds, and is easily concealable (compared to lets say a fairly larger gun like a Mark 23), I'd choose this, and the different types of ammo out there is quite nice. Considering it uses a .224 caliber bullet, and the ballistic testing on youtube and reading official tests its a good bang for the buck.

18. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

This is so my thinking. The point of a light-recoiling round IMHO is that the weapon can be made lighter and smaller. FN only made their's lighter. If they made one the size of a XD compact with a 12 to 14 round capacity, it would be a great concealed carry piece for individuals that are recoil sensitive.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I agree with the comment that it would be nice if the high volume manufacturers would jump on board. If Glock, SA, S&W start bldg them, the ammo would become more common & cheaper.

Hey, Engineering types, question:
    Is there anything about the 5.7x28 that makes building a gun around it more difficult than the more "normal" cartridges?

20. EdwardH

EdwardH New Member

FN Five-SeveN

I read an article recently that praised the Five-SeveN as an ideal handgun for home defense. "The 5.7x28mm round combines the bottleneck shape of rifle rounds and the shorter length of a handgun round like the 9mm." What this does, according to the article, "pushes a roughly 30-40 grain projectile out of the barrel at around 2,100 feet per second, compared to a traditional 9mm Luger round that propels a 124-grain bullet at 1,150 feet per second." This gives the round a lot of power, but not much recoil which makes for some accurate shooting.

The article states that the lightweight, high-speed round theoretically will not penetrate interior walls of a home as deeply as the heavier and slower traditional hand-gun cartridges. To back this claim, the article refers to a local SWAT team that uses the Five-SeveN and they constructed three walls from sheetrock and 2x4's, placed 12 feet apart to simulate the average room they might encounter on an entry. When they fired the 5.7 round, it started to keyhole after striking the second wall and never went through the third.

There were other reasons the author of the article liked about the Five-SeveN that make it a great home defense hand-gun, but I'm sold on the high power, slight recoil and lack of collateral penetration. I own an FNP 9mm, which is made by FNH UNA, the same manufacturer of the Five-SeveN and I love it. It's ultra light, super accurate and great fun to shoot. I can't wait to add the Five-SeveN to my collection, from everything I've read and heard about it, it's a great pistol.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010