Fn 5.7x28mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Stillersfan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Thinking about purchasing this pistol in the future. Anybody have one? What are the Pros and Cons? Thanks!

2. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Have not heard much about them but its an FN so probably pricy but good. My only issue would be where the hell do you get ammo!?!? I have seen it only once for sale before at a lgs and they dont carry it anymore.

3. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

My buddy has one and it is a SWEET shooter. Ammo is hard to come by for it though. It's a FN what's not to like

4. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

That would be my only draw back is ammo. I was surfing the net and found a bunch of sites that sell it. Its just nice to have a FN. Ive been wanting one for a long time. Still thinking about it. I may turn around and buy a S&W 1911 E series. :D

5. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

If your thinkin of this for CC id say no way, but if you want a fun range pistol I don't know If it gets much better. 20 rounds and a 10 round extension hardly hangs off. We have fun with it but its expensive to shoot.

6. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Out of curiosity why not cc? Is it because it shoots a rifle like round that could penetrate and go beyond the target?

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

a great gun.

And ammo is readily available online, and at most of the bigger LGS.

I recently bought 500 rds at Midway, on sale for $21 per box of 50.

It's a little large for "cowboy carry", but in a shoulder rig you could conceal it under a sweater.

8. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Yes sir that's exactly my worry

9. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I have one - opinions:

Pro's:
    Very very light
    Very fun to shoot
    Accurate
    Extremely reliable
    Well made - very precision construction
    Easy takedown & cleaning
    Very cool round that it shoots
    Very low recoil
    My kids LOVE it - one of their favorite guns to take shooting.

Con's:
    Expensive gun
    VERY expensive ammo/round (sometimes hard to find too)
    Large/hard to conceal

Overall the pros outweigh the cons - it is a very cool gun to own.
    Practical?
    Probably not as much (but what does that have to do with this hobby of ours?)

I say go for it if you have the funds...

10. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Also, on the round itself.....

The best (and least expensive) place to purchase ammo for me has been at gun shows. I have also run into the Mil-Spec ammo for it there (you know, the 57 ammo that the public is not supposed to be able to buy).

For a self-defense round itself, the FN/Hornady manufactured ammo would be fine as it uses a frangible type bullet and less-hot loaded round. It is the Mil-Spec stuff that you hear about with the over penetration issues (or excellent penetration issues - depends upon how you look at it).

My problem with this gun for Concealed Carry is not the round, but the gun itself. It is extremely light but very big & bulky. The safety switch can be problematic for leather holsters (ie...IWB holsters) because it can be switched off with some close fitting leather holsters. This is not the case with Blackhawk Serpa holsters (Kydex) which is what I have for mine - but to my knowledge they do not make an IWB-type holster (only OWB). So kindof tough to conceal the gun.

11. Werminator

Werminator Member

If you like the idea of an FN maybe look at the FNP, FNS, or FNX. they are more traditional weapons but much more reasonable in price and ammo more abundant...

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is one fine and very deadly handgun. I see no problem carrying the gun in a well designed belt holster. Cabelas had plenty of ammo at the Lehi, Ut store last month for $16 dollars a box. This is an ideal CC weapon.:cool:

13. hmh

hmh New Member

I know they had a problem with catastrophic failure (I want to say the slide breaking in two but dont quote me) and they were not honoring there warranty.

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Really, thats interesting...FN a big manufacture not honoring there warranty. If this is true i will never buy an fn product

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I seen one at the gun show by me last weekend for $899 and thats a pretty good deal around me. My buddy tried to rent one at my Lgs but they didnt have any ammo in stock.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd have to see the details of that. I have a hard time believing that FNH would not make good on a defective product, unless there were some very peculiar circumstances involved..

FNH is one of the world's top rated, and most highly respected arms makers.

17. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have commented on several previous posts on the 5.7 so this a repeat of my opinion. I owned one and sold it about two years ago.

Pros:
    Light, proven and reliable delayed blowback action
    High capacity
    Effective ammo design.
    Accurate to longer distances than typical handguns

Cons:

Large. Hard to conceal.
    Expensive gun, expensive ammo
    Different point of impact for different bullet weights
    The most effective bullets are LE only (steel core)
    The slide mounted safety easily flips on and off when holstering or drawing the pistol. Ultimately, this is the reason I sold it.
    Reloading is difficult, the brass has a special coating on it.

18. hmh

hmh New Member

19. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Thanks for the link...
    Interesting reading, however I do not think after reading this blog that I would come to the conclusion that there is an ongoing issue with catastrophic failure.
    I read that one guy and one gun had this problem and that the blog author himself speculates that the problem was likely caused by hand loaded ammo (which also may be the reason that FN is declining on warranty).

I have never ever heard of this happening on any other FN57 and the design of the gun is probably the most reliable that I have ever seen in a pistol (no feed ramp and the mag feeds the round into the chamber with a straight-in motion which eliminates any chance of stovepiped rounds).

I would not hesitate to continue letting my 12 & 15 year old operate this firearm.

20. hmh

hmh New Member

I have heard that same story several times including twice locally. Just do the research and make your own decision. I love the idea behind the round.