Fn 5.7

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by TXHunter247, May 21, 2012.

1. TXHunter247

TXHunter247 New Member

I am looking at buying one soon but don't know if it's worth the money. Any feedback about this pistol would really help. Thank you

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Nice gun but expensive to shoot IMO... if that's what ya want go for it I'd love to own one...

3. LuckyPunk44

LuckyPunk44 New Member

You could get a vintage S&W or Colt for that kind of dough. Maybe even some class three toys. Too much for a small caliber polymer gun.

4. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

I have two PS90 carbines - and I previously owned a Five Seven back in 2008. It is a nice weapon. I have small hands, so the front to back length of the grip was just too much for me. But, nice gun.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Sweet gun, I'd get my hands on one first though, the grips are a bit sharp and kinda uncomfortable imo.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If your tastes and wallet allow room for a FiveseveN, most owners seem really happy with them. Very accurate (even at extended ranges), fun to shoot, low recoil...would probably be a fun varmint pistol as well.

Not a great fit for everyone, but there sure are a lot of satisfied owners out there.

7. TXHunter247

TXHunter247 New Member

Well I bought one and it's awesome. Yes it cost a bit to shoot but other than my 1911 it's the best shooting pistol I've held to this day

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

Pretty cool pistols to me but very much limited in uses... There doesn't seem to be much if any defensive ammo available for them and the cost per round is a lot higher than I like... Cool though...

9. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I am thinking really seriously about picking one up too....
    I saw and handled 2 or 3 at a local gun show this last weekend. Expensive yes - but uber light and really looked and felt like quality made.
    Ammo is expensive but so is .45 and I buy that all the time.
    Not sure about the comment about no defensive ammo - I will agree that there is not much variation in ammo loads out there - basically two versions available, a 27 grain hollow point round and a Hornady V-max 40 grain polymer tipped hard nose round.
    I watached a youtube video from Hickok45 and he completely demolished a concrete cinder block in like 4-5 shots with the polymer tipped bullet. That looked plenty good enough for a defensive round to me....
    Anyway, it is a large gun though - so not sure how concealable it would be. But look slike alot of fun and very accurate.

Hmmmm....I have another watch that I could sell to fund this.....hmmm

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Go for it ! If you need affirmation or just a decent rationalization to buy a new gun, your in the right place. I researched the gun and liked everything except the price and no access to mil spec ammo. (yet)

The 5.7 went up against HKs new rd for MP 7 in NATO test and won but HK contested and it became a political football n gridlock.

Plenty Of U Tube videos w impressive results.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If anyone doubts the effectiveness of the 5.7, remember that the Fort Hood army doctor killed a lot of people very quickly with one.:(:(

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Yeah, our tax dollars were used to train the SOB how to shoot. Wonder what they would do to him under Sharia Law ? Very frustrating !

13. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Penalty under Sharia??? Isn't that beheading? Oh yeah, infidels don't count:mad:
    I'd be happy with a military firing squad! Seems like suitable justice.

Oops, that's political & religious all at once:eek:.

14. oli700

oli700 New Member

Why is that attributed to the gun? That could have happened with a variety of pistols

15. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

...especially if you happen to be attacked by cinder blocks! :D

16. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

OK, picked on up at an LGS on Friday. Took it out to the range Saturday. Put 150 rounds down the pipe - flawless, no feeding issues or misfires. My two boys enjoyed it as well. It has low enough recoil that my younger 12 year old son enjoys shooting it too. It is very accurate as well. No problems hitting milk jug filled w/water at 40 yards. Smaller targets too. The gun is very quality made and put together. Disassembly is almost instant, easy and quick to clean, as well. Overall, very impressed just need to find a cheaper outlet to get ammo from now.

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

With its 40 gr shell and capacity - can this be used in competition ? IPSC etc. ? Or is this a Tgt & varmit pistol ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  18. cooldude

cooldude New Member

5.7 seems like it would be a great caliber for the military heres why.its not your normal varmint caliber in fact it's actually a very unique caliber considering the fact that it can penetrate class III body armor when using the right ammo(not for the public) there's a reason they call it's the "cop killer" in Mexico because it penetrates like a rifle bullet instead of being round and flat like a pistol bullet and as far as ammo goes its pretty expensive

19. msup752

msup752 New Member

I had one for a year and sold it. As I have posted before, the gun is light and the round has a great effective range and appears to produce an adequate wound to incapacitate.
    On the bad front, the gun is large and difficult to conceal. The ammo is expensive. The point of impact is different for the lead free and heavier rounds. The ammo is more difficult to reload than most other rounds. The worst problem was the slide mounted safety. It would catch on the holster or clothes when drawing it out or bolstering it. Thus I was always checking to find if the safety was on or off. That was a huge pain and disqualified it, for me anyway, as a concealed carry or tactical weapon. Maybe a kydex holster would help with that.

20. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Well, as stated earlier in this thread, I purchased one of these & have finally snapped some quick pics. Thought I would post them. The gun is a complete blast to shoot - very, very low recoil - very, very accurate - very, very reliable - very, very light. I love how the gun is designed to strip off the top round in the mag and push it straight/directly into the firing chamber. There is no feed ramp, round is pushed straight ahead and straight into the chamber. I doubt that there would ever be any type of jam or failure to feed. It has been flawless for me. On the downside, the ammo is quite expensive and hard to find too. But overall it has been a really fun pistol to shoot. I am looking to get a Blackhawk Serpa holster for it.

Here are my pics - sorry for crappy pics....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]