fmj for defense?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by old fart, May 3, 2013.

1. old fart

old fart Member

i recently bought a stoeger cougar 40s&w, all ammo i can find is fmj and want to take the gun out hiking and walking. i open carry here in kentucky, and with the better weather i want to get out but i don't want to leave my gun home. has anyone got any thoughts on fmj for defense untill i can find hollow points? thanks

2. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Cut the tip off to reveal the lead used to work for my Dad when he was a young bloke shooting pigs with a .303 and military ammo was all's he could get.
    Sorry didn't read that it was a sidearm my oops.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I would carry it.

4. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Maximum reliabilty, minimum stopping.

Look at Buffalo Bore?

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Better than nothing but get some HP's when you can. Make sure they function well before carrying of course.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Minimum of 3 shots before you stop to look and see if (he) is down.

7. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shoot your target many times and it will eventually stop. Just make sure you hit your target. But do get some hollow points as soon as you can.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

9. old fart

old fart Member

will shooting alot of fmj wear my barrel out sooner?, i have heard that fmj is harder on barrels than hollow points. thanks

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The military uses 9mm fmj, but they are fighting enemy with more padding then the normal street thug. The penetration is needed. The round injures more then kills, but that is also why .223 is used. The idea is injured soldiers need other soldiers to help them, which means less are fighting. Remember that fmj is also used because it goes through the enemy and continues down range. So, be careful. In the winter, people wear lots of clothing, so that extra penetration may be needed. Just a thought.

11. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Not to mention the Geneva compact

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Most hollow points are copper jacket and run through the lans of the barrel just as a FMJ does. The barrel won't discriminate between the 2. :D

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Very true! The military is starting to move away from it believe it or not. Military snipers are using hollow point rounds now. This is the exception. I believe congress had a meeting about it maybe ten years ago?

14. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think its called open tip match not sure if it expands but it's supposed to be more accurate.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Whoever told you FMJ produces more wear is a dumbkopf. A jacketed hollow point bullet still has a JACKET- which is the part of the bullet that actually contacts the bore.

And a FMJ would not be my FIRST choice, but is way ahead of LAST choice. Shoot until target changes shape or catches fire.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

old fart,

If that is all I had at the present time, "you bet I would carry them". Shot placement and multiple shots!
    If course defending myself, I am not going to stop with only one round no matter what I am carrying in the pistol. 9-40-45 cal. It does not matter it is a minimum of two or three!. ;)

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

True, but the military is very good at BS so they can get around inconvienant rules. It is all in the wording. My Norma Vulcan ammo has the same characteristics and it does expand. More damage to game then my soft point ammo. A lot more loss of blood from the entrance wound. Oh, congress has said that this type of ammo can be used for counterterrorism operations that do not involve conventional armies. Once again, wording.:D

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I say break off from the Geneva convention. The enemy we are dealing with today does not adhere to any rules of engagement, so why should we not use hollow-points.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I carry FMJ exclusively. 1911's modeled after the original (like mine is) aren't known for reliably feeding HP. However, mine IS actually designed for it with the throat and feed ramp, while retaining most of the looks of the original (springfield milspec if you're wondering).

Mine has eaten everything I've fed it, except for exactly 3 dangerously out of spec reloads of questionable origin (bought a box of 50 at a flea market for 5 bucks). I fed these to it just to see if it would take them.

The REASON I carry FMJ is because it's cheap. Yeah, yeah, I know.. "trust your life to cheap ammo? Is it worth so little to you?"

Yes I do, and no it's not. I frequent places and situations in a community where a confrontation is highly unlikely. And I am accurate with it. I TRUST HP in my gun, but basically, I carry what I practice with.

Start perforating a BG and they're most likely to turn and run anyway, if they don't run simply when you present. Animals... Maybe not so much.

I think I'd pick a different chambering if I couldn't stop the local wildlife with what I was carrying. Animals are way more likely to charge and attack when wounded than a human is. Personally, I wouldn't use anything less than a .357 mag for woods carry, if I needed it (thankfully, the local wildlife here isn't exactly dangerous), and would prefer to simply have the biggest freaking gun I could carry as a sidearm.

Carry what you've got. Upgrade later as you can. Even a JA.22 is better than a pointed stick.

20. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

OF - carry what you have, until you have what you want.