Flu vaccines.......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Nov 13, 2011.

1. No, I never have. Please explain.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. Yes, I do every year. Please explain.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. I have in the past but I don't anymore because...........

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. I never have before but I will start doing so now because.....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I was wondering how you all feel about the influenza vaccines. I have noticed this tends to be a pretty controversial subject. Let's see how many of you get the flu vaccine every year and why you do or do not. I'm also interested to hear of any experiences, good or bad, revolving around getting the vaccine. Please voice your opinion here.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

WOC, i got one at work about 15 years ago, came down with the worst flu i have ever had in my life, was sick for almost three weeks. but the upside is that ever since, even if i get the flu now, i get over it quicker than most, usually only about half as long as others. :(

3. winds-of-change

Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for your input. I have some very strong opinions on this subject but will not voice them until there have been a lot of replies here.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't get it, waste of money to me, even if I just got my arm chopped off I still have to go to work so why risk getting sick from a shot when I have a better chance of not getting sick at all?

5. ahole

ahole New Member

I have never had a flu vac. And for that mater no vacs since I was old enough to make my own calls. My 5 year old has not had the fist vac. Nethere my 7 year old daughter. Redone. 1 me and my wife do not trust something our gov and commercialy controled medical community pushes. 2 yes god gave us a brain and we use it if we need medical help yes we go get it we don't site here saying its gods will or natural remiady only. If we boa way of taking care of our selfes we will. Inmo the flu vac is a way for people at be to control the mass population.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Are you asking about getting shot?

Every year. I’m a nurse. It was a job requirement at the hospital and is one in my present job. My clients could very well die from the flu.

Personally; before I got them I got the flu every year. After I got them, I’d still get the flu some years, but not anywhere near as bad.

7. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

In the past, meaning while I was in the Army. Ended up sicker than a dog for 3 days after each time. When I got out, never went to get another flu shot and never will. Maybe some killer flu virus strain will do away with me sometime in the future but that's my choice. That killer virus will do away with even those who had a shot because that shot won't be for that particular viral strain anyway.

8. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

I and my teen son got flu shots this year for the first time. I never believed we were in danger from flu since we're both healthy with active immune systems. But my fiancee's son has health issues that put him at risk if he gets the flu, so we got the shots so we wouldn't transmit it to him or anyone else.

Dave

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. Every year. Never had the flu. :cool:

[​IMG]

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Too many people have died from the flu vaccine, and they seem to be getting worse at predicting what the next flu strain is going to be.

I also fall into the camp that believe that vaccines in general (with some exceptions) prevent the immune system from developing broader base learned response to fighting future viruses.

Dr Mercola has a TON of links on his site wrt flu vaccine and vaccinations in general, here is just one of dozens More Proof Flu Shots Don

11. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

In 2006 I had gotten a flu shot and the next day was sick as a dog
    on my back unable to move for the flu in my system had me down
    for five days and running. Never again! Like everything else today,
    I don't trust it, especially when both the government and the
    pharmarcies are pushing for people to come in for shots.
    My fear is that Josef Mengele is the one in the white smock.
    :eek:

12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

My oldest just started school and now we have a newborn so I have thought about getting my oldest and myself one. I read all about it though since we have never gotten one, I read A LOT of reports about kids getting very sick after getting them.

13. ledhed

ledhed New Member

The flu virus must mutate to survive. Our bodies create antibodies and create an immunity when we come in contact with the virus. If everyone gets the flu shot and has the same artificial immunity the mutation will be more dramatic in order for the flu virus to survive I.e swine and avian flu. So to answer your question no. I never get one. Get sick about once a year lasts about two days and still able to function. Nothing debilitating. Just like a mild cold

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I use to get the vacination, but I've had the flu so many times it does not affect me nearly as bad as it use to. Now back a few years ago when the Swine Flu was almost an epidemic of sorts I owe my life to the vacination that they came out with for that flu. I had gotten the Swine Flu and instantly became so sick that I was sick for five weeks, because of it. I can tell you that out of having the Flu, Stomach Flu, and Swine Flu that the Swine Flu was indeed the worst I've ever had. Not only, because of the Swine Flu, but also, because I had been diagnosed with Pnuemonia and Bronchitis on top of it.. I can almost guarantee I'll get the Flu every year and maybe the Stomach Flu.

15. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

However, if in mass we get vaccinated, what if the virus is not able to mutate? Like Polio is a virus. How does the flu and polio differ.

16. Sarge22

Sarge22 New Member

Rather risk the shot than risk the disease. Remember, influenza CAN STILL KILL YOU. "I don't have insurance" and "I'll tough it out" is a deadly combination.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

When I was in the USAF, it was mandatory. Every time I got it, I got to spend several days dealing with "Flu-like symtoms." I'd go to the hospital and they would say "It can't be related to the shot." I say BS, it happened every time. Typhoid shot, same thing, a lost weekend. Since I retired, I've skipped it every year and haven't really had much more than a mild cold. YMMV.

18. winds-of-change

There is really no such thing as the "stomach flu". I know we call any abdominal or intestinal illness the "stomach flu", but it is not a true influenza. There is no vaccine for gastroenteritis.

A true influenza is a respiratory virus.

Influenza or Stomach Flu (Gatroenteritis)?

19. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I do not get flu shots and never have. First off the vaccine for the current year is only good for last years strain. Second, When I work in the field, it's usually in nasty underground vaults for telephone work. They're many times quite septic and viral in nature and I have a good exposure to virus and disease. This exposure is year round and I get more exposure than most. Third, I havn't had the flu in over 30 years. Have had a few other nasties (not the flu) but they usually lasts only a few days maximum and I can work through them.

20. shadamai

shadamai New Member

When I was in high school, almost my entire family came down with a really bad case of the flu. A couple of us ended up with pneumonia, and I had it the worst. Since then, the flu tends to result in bronchitis for me, so I get my flu shot every year now. The shot itself has never made me sick; it just results in a sore arm for a day or so.